C.G. Drews's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling

bookshelves: 4-star, magical-fantasy, read-2014, young-adult, paranormal, ya-male-narrators

Do I get a cookie for ploughing through 600+ pages, when I normally read 300pg books? DO I GET A BIG COOKIE??? Not that this was awful to read! No, not at all...it's just: exhaustion. Completely. Hey I just battled Voldemort.

Make that some a tall glass of milk with my cookie, thank you very much.

I'm still only giving it 4-stars, but that's mainly for the sheer quantity of Quidditch. Kick me out of the fandom, but I don't really CARE about sports. Never have. So the first 100 or so pages, while they set up some mysteries, kind of bored me. And the finale let me down a little because there was a LOT of info-dumping.

But that's it. That's ALL I disliked. CAN I NOW LIST ALL THE AWESOMENESS?
(Everyone reviews and reads Harry Potter, so 'scuse me, but I'm not writing a proper review. Go read it, if you haven't. It's awesome.)

- The Weasley family. AS ALWAYS. I will never stop loving Mr and Mrs Weasley. And the whole big family dynamics is spot-on-perfect, and I would know, because I feel like a Weasley in my family sometimes. Fred and George will always make me laugh. LOVE THEM. And Ron. Ron is awesome as well.
- Ron, Hermione and Harry. They are my all time favourite friendship trio, these days. Except it's getting awkward and strained because BAM PUBERTY. But still. I love them! I hate it when they fight though. Gaaah! I feel like Hermione when Harry and Ron had that hissy fit at the beginning. Knock their little heads together.
- Magic school. It's worth mentioning continually, okay? I want to go to magic school...I waaaaant it.
- Woah, new characters everywhere. (view spoiler) I was a wee bit confused with the sheer quantity of people, but hey. That's this series, apparently.
- Riddles and mazes and things! They always impress me. I like to see if I can figure them out along with the characters. Clue: I cannot.
- Sirus. Thank you, JK Rowling, for finally getting a grownup who really cares for Harry. Even if said grownup is mostly a dog.

BUT I DO HAVE A FROWNIE FACE. Why the HECK is Snape still hired?? He's a pure teacher-bully and, like, sue him or something, but it's wrong the way he treats the Gryffindor students. Not even just Harry! He's downright cruel to Neville and Hermione, too. It's infuriating.

BRING ON BOOK #5!! WOOHOOO!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.

January 20, 2014 – Shelved
January 20, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
June 5, 2014 – Started Reading
June 6, 2014 –
page 280
38.15% "It really concerns me how much teacher to student abuse happens in Hogwarts. SNAPE: I DO NOT LIKE YOU. I DO NOT AT ALL."
June 7, 2014 – Shelved as: 4-star
June 7, 2014 – Shelved as: magical-fantasy
June 7, 2014 – Shelved as: read-2014
June 7, 2014 – Shelved as: young-adult
June 7, 2014 – Finished Reading
January 26, 2015 – Shelved as: paranormal
November 17, 2016 – Shelved as: ya-male-narrators

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)

Julia Nashif I knoooow!! While reading this I was like, "WHY HASN"T HE BEEN FIRED?!"

message 2: by Sam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sam Whitehouse All is not what it seems.

C.G. Drews Julia: *whispers* I want him fired so bad. I'm furious that he's still hired, actually.

Sam: EVERYONE KEEPS SAYING THAT. Gah! I need to read faster.

message 4: by Sam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sam Whitehouse Cait D wrote: "Julia: *whispers* I want him fired so bad. I'm furious that he's still hired, actually.

Sam: EVERYONE KEEPS SAYING THAT. Gah! I need to read faster."

Haven't you seen the movies either?

C.G. Drews Nope. Well, I've seen movie #3...but that's it! I'm planning on watching them after I read the book. All in order. Like a good little organised bookworm. ^.^

message 6: by Sam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sam Whitehouse Cait D wrote: "Nope. Well, I've seen movie #3...but that's it! I'm planning on watching them after I read the book. All in order. Like a good little organised bookworm. ^.^"

Azkaban is one of the best movies. The first two movies are like the first two books, they have dark elements but they're more family movies. The series, just like the books, gets progressively darker. I wish i was in your position, reading and watching them all for the first time.

C.G. Drews Eeeep, they're definitely turning more dark YA now, then MG, which I appreciate, since I'm *cough um cough* kiiiiind of out of the age range. x) But I REALLY love them. I do wish I'd grown up with them though, you know? I think they would've meant more to me.

message 8: by Sam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sam Whitehouse Cait D wrote: "Eeeep, they're definitely turning more dark YA now, then MG, which I appreciate, since I'm *cough um cough* kiiiiind of out of the age range. x) But I REALLY love them. I do wish I'd grown up with ..."
They get progressively better too. Even though Order of the Phoenix has little plot and a lot of filler, it was just cool spending all those pages in Hogwarts. It was great growing up with the series and the movies, looking forward to the release of one or the other every year. It's strange knowing there won't be any more Potter books/movies-- save the fantastic beasts trilogy.

Lydia Even if said grownup was mostly a dog . . . ha, yes.

Brooke I typically skip over the Quidditch parts myself. It's great to watch, but tedious to read more than past 2 pages.

Book 5 is my favorite out of the series. Even though I just read them for the first time recently, I've been considering rereading them. And now you have me pumped to do so!!

holly Awesome review! Book 5 is actually my second least favourite, but just wait until Book 6! I love that one.

Traci Hah... You may want him fired, but Snape is kind of a huge part of the books. You must see the movies! Not that they're any better than the movies... is this the one where Hermione captures Rita Skeeter?

message 13: by Vlora (new)

Vlora I've read all the books and I STILL think Snape is a jerk and should not be let anywhere near children. And lots of love for Sirius. <3

Zheng Yang Chun Although I hate Snape (view spoiler)