orannia's Reviews > Irregulars

Irregulars by Nicole Kimberling

bookshelves: 2014, m-m

** spoiler alert ** Overall four and a half stars. By novella:

Cherries Worth Getting (Nicole Kimberling): I loved the world building and I thought the plot was beyond fascinating. I did feel the writing was more tell than show though and sometimes felt a bit...stilted? Clunky? In places. However, I would definitely like another story (longer) with the two main characters! Four and a half stars.

Green Glass Beads (Josh Lanyon): This novella had the author's typical flow. I wasn't sure how I felt about Archer (the main character whose POV we saw), but every time I was edging towards disliking him the author would tip me the other way with some personal insight that fleshed out his character and explained more about why he was the way he was. We knew less about Rake (the other main character), but that didn't worry me. Overall I thought the author balanced character development and plot well with a limited word count. Four and a half stars.

No Life But This (Astrid Amara): This was mind-blowing! The world-building was incredible - in at times a totally squick way - and I loved the character development, although we had far more about Deven...but he was so interesting. So many layers I wanted to peel off! And I'm with August: the Aztaw are SCARY! (Yes the capitals are necessary!) Seriously, why does this anthology not have a sequel??? Five stars.

Things Unseen and Deadly (Ginn Hale): I must confess that this was my least favourite of the novellas that made up the anthology. I'm a big fan of character development, and while the POV alternated between Jason and Henry I never felt like I had a handle on them, although at times the loneliness of both characters came through. I also found the plot dragged a little. Normally I love the beautiful descriptions Ginn Hale includes - if you haven't read The Rifter rectify that right now! - but in this book I just wanted the plot to move. (I'm probably the only one that felt this way.) Four stars.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Irregulars.

January 19, 2014 – Started Reading
January 19, 2014 – Shelved
January 19, 2014 – Shelved as: 2014
January 19, 2014 – Shelved as: m-m
January 20, 2014 –
8.0% "Fascinating world-building in the first story."
January 21, 2014 –
18.0% "Have finished Cherries Worth Getting. Loved the world building, thought the plot was fascinating and would like more of the characters. I did feel the writing was more tell than show and sometimes felt a bit...stilted? Clunky? In places... Looking forward to the next story :)"
January 24, 2014 –
40.0% "I really enjoyed Green Glass Beads. It had Josh Lanyon's typical flow. I wasn't sure how I felt about Archer, but every time I was edging towards disliking him the author would tip me the other way with some personal insight that fleshed out his character and explained more about why he was the way he was."
January 24, 2014 –
40.0% "Cont... We knew less about Rake, but that didn't worry me. Overall I thought the author balanced character development and plot well with a limited word count."
January 26, 2014 –
50.0% "OMG - No Life But This is fascinating. The world-building is mind-blowing...and I'm with August - the Aztaw are SCARY!"
January 27, 2014 –
69.0% "OMG - No Life But This was mind-blowing! The world-building was incredible - in at times I totally squick way - and I loved the character development, although we had far more about Deven...but he was so interesting. Seriously, why does this anthology not have a sequel???"
January 31, 2014 – Finished Reading