Karensa's Reviews > The Souls of Black Folk

The Souls of Black Folk by W.E.B. Du Bois

liked it
Recommended for: students of life

Why didn't I read this in college when I was writing my thesis on the black female body - double consciousness !! That's what I was going on about.

This is a vital book for anyone interested in American history or social conditions and race today. It turned out to be quite prophetic.

First though you will have to get over the language. It's a little lahdedah, poetic and at times pompous; one moment I would be learning something really interesting about the demographics of Atlanta and in my head I'm comparing it to the richness of black business now, and then I'd be totally lost in classical studies as he's gone all Hesperides. His use of language also made me think about who this book was aimed at, who he expected to be reading it and who was to benefit... There were also a lot of people mentioned with no introduction, so you are supposed to know of them already. (It's best to keep wiki and a dictionary close by.)

This book has widened my interest in the subject matter and I am grateful for that, but I found myself reading some the pages over and over ...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Souls of Black Folk.

January 19, 2014 – Shelved