Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews's Reviews > Lead Me On

Lead Me On by Lexxie Couper

bookshelves: guiltypleasures-slick

Slick‘s review posted on Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews

Review copy provided for an honest review

5 STARS

Sometimes a series gets in your soul and you can’t get it out. Such is the case with Lexxie Couper’s Heart of Fame series. I have lost count of the times I have read this series and it’s not that old, but there is something about these characters that just engulfs me and makes me a part of their world. I had very mixed emotions about Nick Blackthorn’s band reforming and looking for a new lead singer as I am very partial to Nick (let’s just say if he was real and I was a teen I’d have his posters all over my room and on the ceiling so I could ogle him as I fall asleep at night). However, as the search goes on I’ve grown to love the men that were there to support Nick all those years and realize they have so much talent it’s a shame for them not to move on. Hold on to your panties ladies because lead guitarist Samuel Gibson is on a mission and there’s no doubt he’s going to leave a string of broken hearts in his wake!

Being described many times over the years as narcissistic and an egomaniac, Samuel Gibson doesn’t quite know how to deal with a woman who seems to want absolutely nothing to do with him. One that seems to despise his presence on earth, but there’s something about Lily Pearce that makes him want to be a better man, makes him want to make her laugh, and makes him want to enjoy more than just sex with her. Knowing he’s facing a grueling uphill battle, he tries his best and even when he fails he does so in spectacular form. While trying to deal with her brother Eugene’s recovery again, Lily finds herself dealing with rock god Samuel Gibson. But she’ll endure it so she can stay by her brother’s side as he tries out to be the new front man for Synergy. She hates the rock and roll lifestyle and the way it has chewed up her brother and spit him out many times over. Samuel Gibson encompasses everything she’s never wanted.

It’s been a long time since I’ve enjoyed a couple as much as this one. They are so oddly matched but that just makes them more entertaining and interesting. Samuel is such a fish out of water trying to be “normal” or “just Sam” and it’s enlightening to watch because it is so important to him that Lily see that side of him. He’s never before cared what anyone thought of him so it’s very telling that he wants to prove himself to Lily. Lily has so many reservations and rightfully so given her upbringing and her family history. But when she begins to see the human side of Samuel, the side no one else really sees, it becomes so clear that despite her dislike for his lifestyle she can’t help but feel something towards the man.

I loved every minute of this book from the first chapter to the last even when they were at odds because those moments always led to some insight or big revelation. There are several scenes in the book that I went back and re-read because they were just first-rate. Lead Me On made me smile and left me on such a book high that the next several books paled in comparison. If you love rock and roll, love when opposites attract, and love watching a self centered man come undone by a woman then this is absolutely the book for you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lead Me On.

Started Reading