Diane Carlisle's Reviews > Innocence

Innocence by Dean Koontz

I enjoyed this audio book during the last few weeks of driving to and from the office while alone in my car. There is something about this story which makes me feel good inside, and you can't quite put your finger on the source.

It's lyrical, it's soothing, and it makes me contemplate the nature of humanity. It sort of re-introduces the readers to the darkness of themselves. At least, it did for me.

There's a great deal of repetitive back story in this novel, but for me it served a purpose to reinforce the woven tale and how the pieces came together in the end. The repetition isn't filler by any means, and you must trust the author moving forward and going back during the tale.

At first, it was a bit annoying, but it grounded me more in the story and I never felt the need to skip over anything (not like you can in an audio CD unless you skip an entire track).

It's pure magic the way the tale unfolds. MacLeod Andrews narrates and his voice and tone were perfect for the story. I would definitely recommend the audio book, though it will cost you twice as much. However, the monolithic cadence can be eerily felt when read to by Andrews, and I think part of that would be missed by those who struggle with Koontz's literary prose.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Innocence.

January 19, 2014 – Started Reading