K.'s Reviews > A Breath of Frost

A Breath of Frost by Alyxandra Harvey

Jan 18, 2014

bookshelves: 2014, historical-fiction, audience-young-adult, squee-worthy, urban-fantasy, own-it-hard-copy, own-it-kindle, 2015, alternate-history, setting-uk
Read 2 times. Last read November 22, 2015 to November 24, 2015.

24/11/2015
I liked this a LITTLE bit less this time around, but I think it's only because I enjoyed the second book more and so I was comparing this to that. Also, WHERE THE FUCK IS THE THIRD BOOK, HARVEY??? IT DOESN'T EVEN EXIST ON GOODREADS YET. GIVE IT TO MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE, I NEED IT.

6/2/2014
Well, this was fabulous. A trio of best friend cousins who turn out to be witches in Regency London? YES. Add a magical finishing school and a side of swoon, and I'm on board. Our main trio are all awesome characters that I'd quite like to be friends with. The relationship between Emma and Cormac is stupidly adorable and caused repeated squeeing. I liked that it could effectively act as a stand-alone story - there's no cliffhanger ending and, while there are things that are left unfinished or that will clearly be dealt with later in the trilogy (*cough* Penelope and Cedric *cough*), none of them felt like they were "TUNE IN NEXT TIME FOR MORE DETAILS"-y.

My one main criticism would be that it was a liiiiiiiiiiiiittle bit too long as a result of how many things were going on at once. Between the school and the Madcaps and the romance and the murders and the trips to Windsor and the balls and the Order interrogations, it was a wee bit overwhelming trying to keep track of things sometimes.

Still, I didn't want to put it down so the length was clearly a minor niggle. Is it October yet? Because I very much want to read the sequel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Breath of Frost.

January 18, 2014 – Shelved