Tinasitton Sitton's Reviews > Drowning Ruth

Drowning Ruth by Christina Schwarz

Dec 31, 2009

it was ok

This book had a very good, interesting story with wonderful characters. However, Schwarz switches from first to third person and with in that third person,keeps the narrative distance moving in and out of limited and omniscience (within the same paragraph too) which is completely false. I don't mind seeing all these different perspectives but the way she presents them seems to be laziness or some sort of insecurity on her part as a writer. The story she creates is really a entertaining one (though the mysterious ending didn't seem that surprising to me, but is forgivable since her characters are so interesting. I just felt that the organization (perhaps the editing) of the book and narrative arch should have been thought out enough to not need both first and third (just one or the other -- I personally like the first person narrations withing this story) narratives and all the perspectives within. Still a good book and worth reading. Gets only two starts because there were too many flaws to the point of distraction.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Drowning Ruth.