Kyle's Reviews > Jailbird

Jailbird by Kurt Vonnegut

Dec 31, 2009

liked it
Read in December, 2009

First I have to say that Mr. Vonnegut is amazing, so I'm a bit biased. If you REALLY want to start reading all of Mr. Vonnegut's books (which you should want to do) please don't start with this book. But then again Jailbird is much more straightforward in its story line then some of his other books so it might be a bit more accessible. I like how Mr. Vonnegut's writing skips around and truly makes no sense until about half way through when it starts to slowly come together. Jailbird is not like that, but it kind of is. He drops some hints here and there about the ending (foreshadowing would you call it?), but you know they're hints if you've read any of his other works.

I will say that Jailbird does demonstrate Mr. Vonnegut's writing abilities. Jailbird kind of combines his skipping around style with a more straight line style (a la Player Piano). Yet through it all you can still hear Mr. Vonnegut's unique voice. So I would suggest Jailbird to anyone who has read a few other of Mr. Vonnegut's books, but not as your first.

I would give you a synopsis of what happens, but that would be entirely too hard to do for a book by Mr. Vonnegut and I would only end up telling you the whole story. So it goes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jailbird.

Quotes Kyle Liked

Kurt Vonnegut
“He gave me the key, which I later discovered would open practically every door in the hotel. I thanked him, and I made a small mistake we irony collectors often make: I tried to share an irony with a stranger. It can’t be done. I told him I had been in the Arapahoe before—in Nineteen-hundred and Thirty-one. He was not interested. ”
Kurt Vonnegut, Jailbird
tags: irony

12/13/2016 marked as: read

Brady Dale I've got to read this one again. The whole RAMJAC Corporation thing was much too prescient.

Renee G. I feel the same way regarding synopses of his books. Whenever anyone asks me, "Well what is the book about" referring to any Vonnegut novel I have read, I have to pause. There's never an easy way to give one! I always end up saying, well, it's kind of hard to describe. I'm glad to know that I'm not the only Vonnegut fan who feels that way. :)