Linda I's Reviews > The Satanic Verses

The Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie

Dec 31, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: salman-rushdie, banned-books, philosophy

Let me start first by saying that I think Rushdie is a literary genius and I usually love everything he writes. Unfortunately, that is not the case with this novel. I should have been riveted with such a great storyline but, sadly, I was bored-out-of-my-mind. I simply could not get interested. My lack of interest probably stems from the dream visions Gibreel experiences which I had a hard time interpreting. I think I'll read a few more Hindu and Muslim stories before revisiting this novel.

Gibreel Farishta and Saladin Chamcha are Muslim Indians who work as actors, one a film actor and the other performing voiceovers, who board a flight from India to England and are subsequently subjected to a terrorist hijacking of their plane. As the plane explodes, both are saved from death by transforming into angels; Gibreel turns into the archangel Gibreel and Saladin turns into a devil. They fall onto a beach but only Saladin is arrested while Gibreel does nothing to help him. Both try to piece their lives back together but Gibreel his too mentally unstable to return to normalacy. Saladin, on the other hand, only suffers a brief bout as a horned and hairy beast, then returns to normal and seeks revenge on Gibreel for not intervening on his behalf. Saladin manages to ruin Gibreel's relationship with his girlfriend, Allie, but Gibreel's realizes what Saladin has done and still forgives him. In the end, madness drives Gibreel to not only kill Allie but himself. Saladin, with Gibreel's forgiveness returns to India to reconcile with his estranged father and remain the rest of his life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Satanic Verses.

December 31, 2009 – Shelved