Renske De busschere's Reviews > The Other Life

The Other Life by Susanne Winnacker

Jan 18, 2014

it was ok
bookshelves: to-read, dystopia-challenge-2014, dystopian, tbr-pile-challenge-2014

** spoiler alert ** The first part of the book was kind of fun.Exploring a new apocalyptic world if fun (on paper that is).So when the main character came out of the bunker to find the world she used to know is gone, I liked the book. But then we found out the reason why they are in this apocalyptic world and that was just not original at all. People got infected with rabies and were hungry for human flesh. Sound familiar? At least most other books just call these monsters zombies, but in this book the writer tried to be original and failed.
Also the book felt a lot like more like a children s book than young adult. The fact that the grown ups let her fight the weepers (zombies) together with a 17 year old boy (surprise surprise...romance)but do not let her vote about a decision to move to another location just seams ridiculous (a lot of those grown ups were rescued by these kids). The grown ups stay in the safety house, hand the 15 year old a gun and say: Be safe??? That is just weird.
I thought the whole book was just apocalyptic but as it turns out it was also dystopian. This was were the book got a lot better. The infected areas are surrounded by a fence and they are being watched by helicopters. The can't have radio contact because it is blocked and if they get to close to the fence they are being captured by the government.
Because of the end and because the book was an easy read I give it 2 stars... I am even considering to read the next one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Other Life.

January 18, 2014 – Shelved