C.G. Drews's Reviews > The Dream Thieves

The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater

bookshelves: magical-fantasy, young-adult, read-2014, paranormal, 5-star, read-2016, reread, audio-books, read-2017, read-2019
Read 4 times. Last read August 25, 2019 to September 17, 2019.

Reread 4 | September 2019
I just love to lose myself in rereading this series. I want to write down a million quotes and step inside this novel and never leave. It makes me want to cry and unpack secrets and believe in magic. And truly, that's what I ask for in a story. This book means so so much to me. (Ronan, I swear, he is the death of me and also his arc has my whole whole heart.)

Reread #3:
Um ya I'm obsessed I really have not got anything to say except I LOVE THIS BOOK MORE EACH TIME I READ IT. I THINK I CRUSHED MY OWN LUNGS WITH LOVE AND APPRECIATION. Ronan is, without doubt, my favourite raven boy, and I love that this is his book. His character development is phenomenal and intricate and done with heart. Like I'm bleeding emotions all over the place.

Notable moments:
• Ronan pretending to be badass and then also giving his pet raven blocks to play with so she doesn't get bored.
• Ronan saying he hates everyone and then describing Adam as ELEGANT.
• Noah being thrown out of a window.
• Blue being disagreeable
• Gansey offering to eat the rest of Blue's yogurt
• magic
• Joseph freaking Kavinsky and his dragon
• a hitman with tender feelings
• Adam and PTSD
• Ronan and PTSD
• SWEET BEAUTIFUL FEELINGS AND ANXIOUSNESS
(view spoiler)
• everything
• omg

Reread #2 March, 2016
This is a RE-READ because I'm freaking addicted to Maggie Stiefvater books. EVEN MORE: I'M FREAKING ADDICTED TO THE RAVEN CYCLE. I cannot even believe how incredibly FEELS DESTROYING, clever, incredibly written, mind numbingly beautiful, and intensely addictive this series is. Like ALL THE GOOD ADJECTIVES. WHACK 'EM RIGHT HERE. Omgggg. I AM MONSTROUSLY IN LOVE WITH THIS BOOK AND I CANNOT EVEN. Okay? Okay.

So I first read this back in 2014. My biggest complaint was: I am confused. SILLY LITTLEY 2014-CAIT. WHAT WAS YOUR PROBLEM? Least to say I was not confused at ALL this time. It was beautiful. It was perfect. AND VERY CLEVER. Omg, I have so many theories now. And I also caught so much more this time around. Which cements the fact that these books are BETTER re-read. There's so much foreshadowing right up front that you don't SEE unless you're looking and aDJFALSDKFJADS I COULD SCREAM BECAUSE IT'S SO PERFECT. In fact. I will.

*screams*

(Also I listened to the audiobook. And audios + me = true love forever and ever because I take things in better via audio than my own lazy eyeballs apparently. But I digress.)

So here is a brief list of my thoughts while reading The Dream Thieves for the second time. If you want a more sensible review, then go to my 2014 review at the end of this.

T H O U G H T S:

• IS GANSEY GLENDOWER?????????
• They keep saying "time is circular" so he could be Glendower himself, folks. #fantheory
• I still 100% think that this is Ronan's story and his character development is suffocatingly beautiful. It is BEAUTIFUL. That word exactly. And I love Ronan, like, probably far too much...ahhhh he's such an insufferable little JERK but I adore him; omg send help.
• I also am still mad at Adam, but not in a "he is a bad character"...more in a "if we met in real life, I would be annoyed at him. But I really felt for Adam, though. Don't get me wrong. There is a quote that BREAKS MY HEART about him not being loved as a child and does that mean he'll always be broken?
• Actually thinking about that...I didn't realise how many THEMES run through The Dream Thieves. It's definitely identity, because who is Ronan? Who is Adam? Who is Gansey? Why is Blue the oddball in her psychic family? What does Adam want? What can Ronan do? IDENTITY. But it's also about love, being "rich in love" as Gansey says. And Ronan chasing after love (Kavinsky) in all the wrong places. And then I think there's a theme about being controlled and controlling. Like Adam wants to control himself and HATES when he can't. Ronan looks for control over his dreams with Kavinsky. And Gansey constantly feels anxious if he can't control a situation.
• ALSO I LOVE. THESE. FREAKISHLY. ADORABLE. MESSED UP. BOYS. SO SO MUCH.
• OKAY?!?!? OKAY.
• I love how complex they are and how they can make me howl (laughter and tears) in one chapter.
• And omg they hurt each other so bad in this book.
• Every time someone rejects Gansey, my heart SHATTERS. Honestly. SHATTERS.
Also Gansey is their mother. And when Gansey goes out of town, ALL THE BAD STUFF HAPPENS. Like someone please get Ronan a kiddie-leash; he should not be allowed on his own. And I cry when Adam fights with Gansey. (This is why I get so angry at Adam. GANSEY LOVES HIM LIKE A BROTHER AND ADAM REJECTS HIM CONSTANTLY BECAUSE HE DOESN'T UNDERSTAND THAT LOVE CAN BE UNCONDITIONAL AND NOT MANIPULATIVE.)
• WHAT IS THAT? JUST THE SOUND OF MY HEART BREAKING.
Is Blue a vegetarian? She seems to exist on yogurt and broccoli.
Ronan is so very gay. Squishy gay little nasty Ronan.
Ronan wasn't a fan of lamps.

Don't be subtle there, Ronan.
• I am of mixed feelings about the Grey Man. I kind of like him as a PERSON but I forgot he killed (view spoiler)
• Also I forgot that Kavininsky (view spoiler)
• I honestly want to live in Blue's incredible house. I mean, I'd go mad. BUT. It was so delightfully cluttered and sprawly and exceptionally described.
HAVE I MENTIONED MAGGIE STIEFVATER IS A WRITER WIZARD?!??!!? In like a few sentences she can describe something and I actually see it and want to be there. I AM there. THE WRITING ADFJKALSDFJAKLFDJK BASICALLY.
• I'm in love.
• With a book.
• Omg.

MY 2014 REVIEW:
I absolutely love this book. It swallowed me, okay? It's one of the few books I actually don't care if it takes me aaaages to read. I'm 100% involved. Plus I laugh out loud! And that is NOT a usual thing. The dialogue is A+ and the humour is the best. Maggie Stiefvater is a wizard word wielder and I will read anything by her, no regrets.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dream Thieves.

Quotes C.G. Liked

Maggie Stiefvater
“In that moment, Blue was a little in love with all of them.
Their magic. Their quest. Their awfulness and strangeness.
Her raven boys.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“While I'm gone," Gansey said, pausing, "dream me the world. Something new for every night.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“She wore a dress Ronan thought looked like a lampshade. Whatever sort of lamp it belonged on, Gansey clearly wished he had one.
Ronan wasn't a fan of lamps.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“He was brother to a liar and brother to an angel, son of a dream and son of a dreamer.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Ronan's bedroom door burst open. Hanging on the door frame, Ronan leaned out to peer past Gansey. He was doing that thing where he looked like both the dangerous Ronan he was now and the cheerier Ronan he had been when Gansey first met him.

"Hold on," Gansey told Adam. Then, to Ronan: "Why would he be?"

"No reason. Just no reason." Ronan slammed his door.

Gansey asked Adam, "Sorry. You still have that suit for the party?"

Adam's response was buried in the sound of the second-story door falling open. Noah slouched in. In a wounded tone, he said, "He threw me out the window!"

Ronan's voice sang out from behind his closed door: "You're already dead!”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Dying's a boring side effect.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“If Adam was stupid about his pride, Gansey was stupid about Adam.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“I am being perfectly fucking civil.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Ronan," Noah said, "I have a super bad feeling."
"It's called being dead," Ronan replied.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“And Ronan was everything that was left: molten eyes and a smile made for war.”

2014 – Started Reading
2014 – Finished Reading
January 17, 2014 – Shelved
January 17, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
May 13, 2014 –
page 80
17.86% "RONAN JUST THREW NOAH OUT OF THE WINDOW. I LOVE THIS BOOK."
May 13, 2014 –
page 220
49.11% "I have to admit, I don't get ALL of the stuff...but Ronan I am here for and also Noah and also Chainsaw. And also Gansey and also Blue and...okay. I'm just here for the characters, okay? Okay."
May 14, 2014 – Shelved as: magical-fantasy
May 14, 2014 – Shelved as: young-adult
May 14, 2014 – Shelved as: read-2014
May 14, 2014 – Shelved as: paranormal
February 7, 2016 –
page 20
4.46% "RE-READ TIME. \n TIME FOR ME TO REMEMBER HOW I AM IN LOVE WITH 1 OR 4 RAVEN BOYS."
February 11, 2016 –
page 78
17.41% "Adam: You've dated more than me. \n Gansey: I'm not dating now.\n Adam: Except Glendower.\n AND THE WINNER OF THIS CONVERSATION IS: ADAM."
February 29, 2016 –
page 169
37.72% "They way they all care about each other is so INSUFFERABLY ADORABLE I CANNOT.\n *chokes on feelings*"
March 1, 2016 –
page 232
51.79% "List of Things I Want:\n - Blue's house\n - A ghost\n - Several Raven boys"
March 1, 2016 –
page 239
53.35% "Gansey & Adam: *goes away for a political thingy*\n Ronan: *acts stabby*\n Blue & Noah: *jumps on all the beds*"
page 300
page 300
66.96% "WHAT DID GANSEY EVER DO TO DESERVE HIS UNGRATEFUL CHILDREN NAMED ADAM AND RONAN. \n *smacks both Adam and Ronan*\n *protects Gansey*"
page 340
75.89% "MY NEW PREDICTION IS THAT GANSEY IS GLENDOWER. Time is circular. AFTER ALL."
March 8, 2016 –
page 372
83.04% "Blu thought about what Gansey had said, about being wealthy in love. And she thought about Adam, still collapsed on their sofa downstairs. If he had no one to wrap their arms around him when he was sad, could he be forgiven for letting his anger lead him?\n \n THAT'S THE SOUND OF MY HEART IN 9 MILLION PIECES AND A PUDDLE OF FEROCIOUS TEARS, IF YOU'RE CURIOUS."
March 10, 2016 – Started Reading
November 25, 2016 – Shelved as: audio-books
October 26, 2017 – Started Reading
October 26, 2017 –
page 33
7.52% "WHY HAVE ONE RAVEN BOY WHEN YOU COULD COLLECT THEM ALL."
October 26, 2017 –
page 57
12.98% "Ronan: I hate everyone.
Also Ronan: How would I describe Adam Parrish? Oh well probably elegant and--"
November 1, 2017 –
page 143
32.57% ""Do you eat all the men of the family? Where do they go? Does this house have a basement?"
-- direct quote from Gansey to Blue while standing in a house of glorious feminists"
November 2, 2017 –
page 191
43.51% "He [Ronan] hurriedly sprawled back in the seat, throwing one jean-covered leg over the top of Adam's and laying his head in a posture of thoughtless abandon.

Ronan: THIS IS A COMPLETE ACCIDENT.
Ronan: *sprawls all over Adam*"
November 8, 2017 –
page 237
53.99% "The fact that Gansey left town for 3 days without making sure Ronan had a babysitter is quite bad parenting."
November 12, 2017 –
page 298
67.88% "In the way of most families, he expressed his difference of opinion by raising a small army.

I have never read more relatable content."
November 13, 2017 –
page 375
85.42% "Calla: Do you feel different...like something special and more?
Blue: [heart bursting with longing] YES
Calla: oh good
Calla: everyone is special
Blue: -_-"
November 13, 2017 –
page 422
96.13% "I just must say that Ronan's character arc is thE ACTUAL BEST THING I'VE EVER READ AND I AM IN LOVE WITH GOOD WRITING."
November 15, 2017 – Shelved as: read-2017
November 15, 2017 – Finished Reading
August 25, 2019 – Started Reading
August 27, 2019 –
page 100
22.78% "I'm trying to decide which part of the chapter at the Dollar Store is my favourite 😌how Ronan gets internally angry at Gansey for being attractive and human or how it's said that Adam is stupid about money but Gansey is stupid about Adam. OR how both Noah AND Chainsaw got obsessed with looking at a glitter globe.

it's beautiful. the whole chapter."
September 17, 2019 – Shelved as: read-2019
September 17, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)

message 1: by Celine (new) - added it

Celine Glad you liked it so much! I haven't read this one yet, but I completely agree with you about the characters *hugs everyone*.

C.G. Drews I can't even pick a favourite. Except maybe Adam is at the bottom, but I still LOVE him. *hugs all the characters too*

Marie -The Reading Otter "Adam takes on jerky tendencies that make me what to hi-five him in the face with a chair" Ha love that and I felt the same way. I didn't much care for him in the first book, and I was almost hating him in this book.

Ronan is my favorite, how hard he tries to act like he doesn't care but how deeply he does. Makes me want to hug him.

They weren't doing school work because it was summer, they only mentioned it a couple times in the entire book. The mentioning of The Fourth of July (American holiday where we eat hot dogs and set of fireworks) was really the only indicator that it was summer break.

La Coccinelle I had the exact same problem with being confused. I think that's kind of a bad thing in a series; sometimes your readers need reminders... and this book seemed to have few of those.

Gansey is my favourite, so I wasn't crazy about this book. Ronan has always been my least favourite of the boys; he struck me as a stereotype right from the beginning.

Beth ~~Just One More Chapter I Swear~~ GREAT review! I LOVED loved loved this book too. I am totally with you on the character descriptions except maybe for the Ronan swooning...jury's still out on that one. Anyway, I just wanted to weigh in and tell you how much I enjoyed your review...as always *^_^*

C.G. Drews @Beth: omg thank you. :') I'm in the midst of a re-read right now so I'm curious to see what I think the second time round. XD

Dee (PlainlyReads) great review! I just finished the first book. And the raven boys are all lovable!! But my favorite would be Adam. I don't know much Ronan, so my preference might change afterwards. :p

em_is_reading I'm reading the first one now, and of course you convinced me to do it Cait ; )

C.G. Drews @Emkay: That is EXACTLY the kind of thing I want to hear. :') My job here is done. Omg. :')))

Aleksandr I understood the magic stuff (but I read a lot of books that get into that sort of mysticism - stuff by Nail Gaiman and Diane Duane). But I really wish people would leave Adam alone about his jerkish tendencies. Blue wasn't always patient with him (and she could have been quite easily but maybe she's supposed to be annoying at times - certainly felt like Maggie wrote her like that on purpose).

But Adam is a child of /abuse/. Like come on. He's stiff and hates himself and is afraid of everything he does because he doesn't want to turn into his father. Yet he's also incredibly hard on himself and even though it's not /obvious/, his PTSD is rampant. He's still a great guy who would clearly die for his friends. And he is passionate and loving, too. It's just harder for him (and Noah) to express themselves for different reasons.

#protectadamparrish2k16

message 11: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Aleksandr: That's fine! I get that you like him. :) And I get that he has reasons and I don't dislike him, particularly. I just don't ever think there's cause for rudeness. "People" are allowed to have different opinions on characters! (Ex: I don't think Blue was ever annoying. ;D)

message 12: by Clare (new) - added it

Clare S-B Could you read this as a stand alone?

message 13: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Clare: I really don't think it'd make much sense without reading The Raven Boys first...

em_is_reading People who read series out of order confuse me. Like, how is it even ENJOYABLE? Well, I guess I can't talk. I'm really weird and like spoilers, which makes me forget that other people don't like them sometimes, so I have to be extra aware to not spoil people.

Lexie The best part of that exchange is that Gansey thinks to himself that Adam has a fair point and doesn't even contest that. Like, yes, TEAM GANSOWER.

Shanti I loved that you talked about the themes because that's something you never bring up in your reveiws and something I love. Also this book is great.

message 17: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Shanti: I'm really not good at picking out themes. xD Which is probably why i rarely talk about them?! But re-reads do make me pay closer attention and AFDJSKLAD SO MUCH LOVE.

message 18: by Finn Longman (new) - added it

Finn Longman Ronan is my child

Amanda This re-read review is PERFECT. You're so right about love and control being themes here. OHMYGOODNESS I just love how each character has their own SO REAL problems and just aghhhh now I need to squish-hug them all...

Also the lampshade quote makes me laugh. It's so ridiculous but it makes sense.

message 20: by Jenn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenn These books give me life and these boys own my soul

message 21: by Jess (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jess HOLY CRAP YOUR FIRST THEORY THO

message 22: by Lexie (last edited Mar 10, 2016 05:56PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lexie There's a person on Tumblr who wrote a long theory about Gansey = Glendower, with chronological (chronologically circular?) evidence to back it up. It's SO ELABORATE. They even worked out how Ronan, Adam, Blue and Noah would fit into it, which archetypes they might embody and who THEY might be.

I just poked around a bit and I think it was this one.

Sandee Do you think he could be Glendower??? Gaaahhh. It's a very big possibility.

Also, I've become a bit attached to Gansey that I get really upset when someone, especially Adam, gets angry at him for no reason!! Arrrggg! Adam was not a favorite here, I'm afraid.

La La Reading it right now! You don't have to worry about this one because I have already read and loved The Raven Boys. XD

message 25: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @LaLa: OH PHEW. :') I'm so unbelievably ridiculously happy that you love them, btw! IT MAKES ME SO GLAD.

message 26: by lila (new) - rated it 5 stars

lila I freaking love this series. And I cried so much in this book, but specially when (view spoiler) Great review!!

message 27: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Prabhleen: OMG THAT MOMENT. BUT ALL THE MOMENTS. <3 I DON'T KNOW WHETHER TO CRY OR HUG THEM.

message 28: by Lin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lin Her writing style is like honey for my eyes so I can totally relate to this!! <3

Taryn Bashford I'm addicted too. If my TBR pile wasn't so big I'd re-read this whole series. Brilliant!

message 30: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Taryn: At this point I'm ignoring my terrifying TBR and just re-reading anyway.😂😂

Taryn Bashford Cait (Paper Fury) wrote: "@Taryn: At this point I'm ignoring my terrifying TBR and just re-reading anyway.😂😂"
You're absolutely right. I need some Stiefvater in my life again!

message 32: by Elle (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elle (TheBookishActress) honestly Cait I relate to this reread review

Savannah (The Book Prophet) i need to re-read these books sooooo bad omg. and i didn't even notice the lamp shade gay subtext thing??? that's so subtle wtf stiefvater!! and yes gansey is the mother of the group!

message 34: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Elise: HELP ME I'M A BUNDLE OF FEELINGS.

@Savannah: omg Ronan was so not subtle. He's like "Blue is a lampshade" vs "Adam is delicate" and "Kavinsky has a beautiful shoulder" haaa hahha hahaha oh Ronan.

message 35: by Elle (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elle (TheBookishActress) Cait (Paper Fury) wrote: "@Elise: HELP ME I'M A BUNDLE OF FEELINGS.

ME WHENEVER I READ THIS.

Taryn Bashford Elise wrote: "Cait (Paper Fury) wrote: "@Elise: HELP ME I'M A BUNDLE OF FEELINGS.

I looove Ronan :)

robylegge Your review is awesome! It’s basically me fangirling this series! I’ve just finish The Raven King, I’ve read the Raven Boys twice and want to re-read the other books because I’m addicted to them! I need to stay with my raven boys again. I love Roran, it’s an amazing character, but my favourite boy is Gansey.
I want re-read the books and find all the little clues and details I’ve missed the first time.

message 38: by Erin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erin If I could like this 1000000 times I would!!! (ALSO I NEVER CONSIDERED THAT ABOUT GANSEY AND NOW I CANNOT UNTHINK IT)

Raven Omg, I am doing the same thing as you in preparation for Call Down the Hawk! This series makes me feel whole and empty at the same time. I want to crawl inside it and live there.

message 40: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews Raven wrote: "Omg, I am doing the same thing as you in preparation for Call Down the Hawk! This series makes me feel whole and empty at the same time. I want to crawl inside it and live there."

omg that is the best description of it ever 😭it ruins me, in the best possible way.

Chelsea Walker Thank you for sharing your love for these books 🖤 I finally finished reading them all and ... well, I think you already know.

message 42: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews Chelsea wrote: "Thank you for sharing your love for these books 🖤 I finally finished reading them all and ... well, I think you already know."

I'm so glad you love them too!!!

Brianna Silva I feel like I need to read this series now!