Lola 's Reviews > Captive Prince: Volume Two

Captive Prince by C.S. Pacat

bookshelves: favorites, m-m-romance, loved-it, adult
Read 3 times. Last read July 24, 2015 to July 27, 2015.

Third read: July 27th, 2015

A kingdom, or this.

Oh god, I'm such a pathetic mess. I grew so attached to Damen & Laurent that it hurts and maybe you find it stupid to feel so helplessly bewitched but this is the best and most perfect, in all its flaws, love story I've ever read.

To get what you want, you have to know exactly how much you are willing to give up.

These are not my two favorite quotes, but they're powerful if you're able to catch their meaning, and they represent Damen & Laurent's relationship oh so well.

Maybe you'll believe me, maybe you won't, but it took me 20 hours to re-reread this book. I reread my favorite passages four, five times when I encountered them and tried to find meaning to everything inside it.

This is why I am now convinced of this: (view spoiler). There is no doubt. I'm 99% percent sure... only something Laurent says about The Regent and the King of Akielos not knowing what an asset Damen would be to him makes me doubt, but even then... Tell me what you think.

------------------------

First read: January 2014
Second read: March 2015

How is it that, right after finishing this sequel for the second time around, I wish to re-read it all over again? And again. And again. That is the Captive Prince effect ❤

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Captive Prince.

Finished Reading
January 17, 2014 – Shelved
August 9, 2014 – Started Reading
August 11, 2014 – Finished Reading
July 24, 2015 – Started Reading
July 27, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)

Trisha Harrington So glad you love this series! Have you seen the snippet from book 3? :D

Lola Trisha wrote: "So glad you love this series! Have you seen the snippet from book 3? :D"

I haven't because I don't like to be tempted. XD I mean, I do...in a different context...But NOT with BOOKS! Can't wait for the book though.

Trisha Harrington Lola wrote: "Trisha wrote: "So glad you love this series! Have you seen the snippet from book 3? :D"

Same here! We have to wait for the re-releases first, though. Have you listened to the author talking about the sex scene in this book? It's on YouTube! xD

Lola I think I will! I'd love to see her!

Trisha Harrington Lola wrote: "I think I will! I'd love to see her!"

She doesn't actually appear on the video, just her voice. But there is a video a fan shot in a coffee shop or something. xD

Lola Forget about it then...
Or not...I don't know, leave me alone, it's late!! ;))

Trisha Harrington Lola wrote: "Forget about it then...
Or not...I don't know, leave me alone, it's late!! ;))"

LOL. Okay! :D

Lola Good night, Trisha. :)

Trisha Harrington Lola wrote: "Good night, Trisha. :)"

Night, Lola! Sleep well. :)

message 10: by Kathe (new)

Kathe L Awwwn glad you feel like this, Lola! The books you want to read again and again are always the best :)

message 11: by Anja (new)

Anja ;D

Aj the Ravenous Reader Awesom review, Lola ^^

Lola haha thanks guys :D And, Anja <3 <3 It depends of the book, haha, but that's definitely how I feel about Captive Prince!

message 14: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa J. Haha! I love that what you called the Captive Prince effect. I have some books that provoke that effect in me. :) You're making me wish I had already read this... but I will! Eventually...

Lola Right? <3 I surely hope so! Kinda sure you won't regret reading this... even if - IF - you do not enjoy it. ^^

message 16: by Aditi (new)

Aditi Beautiful review :-)

Lola Hahaha I'm just so happy you feel the same about this series, Nika. Damen and Laurent deserve so much love <3 <3 AND A HAPPY ENDING.

Lola I'm so in love with both... but Laurent has me so charmed and hooked everytime he's talking... but Damen is wonderful. I love them both for different reasons :D You? But Laurent a little more

Lola gaah

Jilly Thanks so much for getting me to read these books! The only problem is that book 3 isn't out yet. How am I supposed to survive until it comes out??? That ending!! ;)

Lola I knooooow, I wish it were!! Or just let us have a date, you know???
You're very welcome! I'm just so so glad you loved them :D

Hobbes OMG that's exactly what I'm feeling now. Although with hindsight I would probably be reading into some characters differently now. Great rec. Thanks again xo

Hobbes That is, wanting to re-read them immediately.

Amy (Other Amy) Your spoiler: yes. I spent the entire last scenes of the book babbling (view spoiler) What is it about this story? I hate romance. Just stopped reading two other books I really need to read because they have romance and I can't deal with that right now. But this book? I can hardly wait to finish this crazy romance.

message 25: by H (new) - rated it 4 stars

H Re: your spoiler, (view spoiler) And now I want to reread the books again to spawn more theories hahaha

message 26: by Arch (new) - rated it 5 stars

Arch Bala Hahahaha! Loved it Lola! I think I'll be reserving a reread a week before the third book comes out! Gawd, it's been like forever since the first book yeah? ^^

message 27: by Hobbes (last edited Jul 27, 2015 09:12PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hobbes As soon as I read these I reread them immediately with a view to finding clues to your spoiler... (view spoiler) Likewise, I'm obsessed and can't wait to read them again when the final book is published. How many sleeps?

message 28: by Fede (new) - rated it 5 stars

Fede I just finished it and I literally spent half the book thinking....LAURENT SO KNOWS. I'm glad I'm not the only one!

message 29: by Zee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zee Welcome to the club . I read the first book in November 2014. Second book was read in December. I've been re-reading both books since then. They're like a prayer

Katarina I LOVE your review. And I also agree with what you said (the spoiler part).

Maria in the 16th century I've been wondering about it too, but if he knows, since when does he know? I just need some opinions...

Amy (Other Amy) I think since the beginning.

A Random Enthusiast Looking forward to read it! I love the title and the description, and I'm certainly fond of books that involve princes.

Rosetta You asked so ... Yes, he knows!I'm sure of it :P Can't wait until February! I also agree, I've read the books three times over in a row. I NEVER do that. Spell bound.

message 35: by Lᴀʏᴀ Rᴀɴɪ (last edited Dec 03, 2015 07:17AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lᴀʏᴀ Rᴀɴɪ #BookDiet2019 I just read both books one and two in FIVE HOURS earlier and I have no regrets! The development and progression of their relationship and trust in each other was---sooooo good and compelling!!! I have no copy of the third book yet but you betcha I'm gonna find one no matter what!

Georgie-who-is-Sarah Yes, I thought he knew as well. It would account for the way he treats Damen at the start of Book 1, and for the comment, "We can face each other as free men. Whatever is to fall out between us can do so then."

message 37: by Stas (new) - rated it 5 stars

Stas This is a never-ending cycle of re-read.
Which is why I have forbidden myself to approach the series yet again, until a least a month has passed since the last time I've red them.
My current count of full re-reads is 3 times. To be fair, though, I came in after the last book was released. I was spared the waiting =)
Now I'm dying to read the short stories she promised

Rissa I read this review before I started the second book in quick succession to the first and let me tell you now I understand and does it ever break my heart. It's so bittersweet I wanted to cry for them and what a part of me feels will never be. Talk about star crossed. I agree that Laurent knew from the beginning. Perhaps when he saw the scar on Damen's collarbone...

Rissa I mean now I understand your first quote. 'A kingdom, or this.' How four words can wring my heart to such an extent I'll never really know. The skill with which Ms. Pacat has rocked our reading world is impressive. I enjoy a book that pulls me in and makes me bleed and feel for its people.

Jennifer Thank you so much for sending out a recommendation to me. I adored this book <3