Sean Barrs the Bookdragon's Reviews > The Lord of the Rings

The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien

bookshelves: tolkien, fantasy, 5-star-reads

Writing a review of this masterpiece is impossible. I can’t do it.

There’s too much to talk about and I love it far too much to articulate my thoughts in a normal way. So instead I’ve picked one element of each book that I liked the most (taken from my list of ten on each review) and added them here. It’s the best I can do, though I know many goodreads users share my difficulty when reviewing this book.

Anyway, here’s my top three:

1.Finding your courage- The Fellowship of the Ring

Not all the party have been fully tested. With them travel four young hobbits, the most unlikely of companions for such a journey. They are the overlooked, the forgotten about, the race that is casually discarded and considered insignificant in the wider world. And perhaps this has been the downfall of society in middle earth previously. The forces of darkness exploit everything they can get their hands on, from giant spiders to rampaging trolls, from dragons to orcs, from men of the east to the undead, Sauron tries to wield it all. This is something the forces of good have not fully considered until recently. Within the bosom of the hobbit beats a strong heart of fortitude and resilience.

“My dear Frodo!’ exclaimed Gandalf. ‘Hobbits really are amazing creatures, as I have said before. You can learn all that there is to know about their ways in a month, and yet after a hundred years they can still surprise you at a pinch.”

They carry with them the key to destroying the dark. Bilbo showed them how he could resist the ring. The hobbits are an almost incorruptible race, and because of this they are Sauron’s doom. It is something he has overlooked.

“It would be the death of you to come with me, Sam," said Frodo, "and I could not have borne that."

"Not as certain as being left behind," said Sam.

"But I am going to Mordor."

"I know that well enough, Mr. Frodo. Of course you are. And I'm coming with you.”

2. Gandalf the White - The Two Towers

“Do I not say truly, Gandalf,' said Aragorn at last, 'that you could go whithersoever you wished quicker than I? And this I also say: you are our captain and our banner. The Dark Lord has Nine. But we have One, mightier than they: the White Rider. He has passed through the fire and the abyss, and they shall fear him. We will go where he leads.

Gandalf the Grey was charming and quirky; he was everybody’s friend and advisor. But he was also a great wonderer and a great quester. He was an unearther of dark secrets and mysteries. And Middle-Earth no longer needs such a figure, darkness is now on her doorstep; it is no longer hidden. So Middle-Earth needs a man (or Istari) with far sight that can unite the scattered forces of Rohan and manipulate events in order to ensure that the King does, indeed, return. It needs a methodical man of great wisdom and intelligence; it needs a stagiest: it needs a new white wizard now that Saruman has changed his colours. And he has come.

3.Girl Power!-The Return of the King

“What do you fear, lady?" [Aragorn] asked.
"A cage," [Éowyn] said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”

There have not been many moments for women to show their strength in this story. Arwen’s moment in the films was non-existent in the book. Frodo was saved on the river by an Elf-lord called Glorfindel. So when Eowen battled the Witch King, it is the first major moment Tolkien gave to a female hero. In a vastly male dominated genre, it was great to read this scene. If I have one criticism of Tolkien, it’s that we didn’t see more of such things.

description

And here's a gif I like:

description

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lord of the Rings.

Finished Reading
January 17, 2014 – Shelved
October 28, 2015 – Shelved as: tolkien
October 28, 2015 – Shelved as: fantasy
February 13, 2016 – Shelved as: 5-star-reads

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)

message 1: by Terence (new)

Terence I love the King of Gondor gif!

message 2: by 7jane (new)

7jane I really need to read this one; I know I will like it :)

Sean Barrs the Bookdragon Terence wrote: "I love the King of Gondor gif!"

It made me chuckle! ;)

Sean Barrs the Bookdragon 7jane wrote: "I really need to read this one; I know I will like it :)"

It's wonderful!

message 5: by Test (new)

Test геаглеглн

Nisa Great review, Sean. After reading your review I want to reread this masterpiece :)))

Mark a great review that actually shows the love you have for this brilliant book (or is it three)

message 8: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth i just linked my husband & oldest daughter to this review. i assure you they are going to be BIG FANS. :)

Sean Barrs the Bookdragon Nisa wrote: "Great review, Sean. After reading your review I want to reread this masterpiece :)))"

do it!- and thank you :)

Sean Barrs the Bookdragon Mark wrote: "a great review that actually shows the love you have for this brilliant book (or is it three)"

both!