Thomas Flowers's Reviews > I've Got the Light of Freedom: The Organizing Tradition and the Mississippi Freedom Struggle, With a New Preface

I've Got the Light of Freedom by Charles M. Payne

bookshelves: history

one of the best, most detailed books regarding the civil rights movement as told from activists young and old who've we never even heard of. Payne focuses on Mississippi, mostly in the rural delta town of Greenwood and tells the history from their perspective, that is, from the bottom up. the story gets a little sad toward the end, as most history stories go, when the spirit fades and the times change into something new, when this happens we begin to feel nostalgic for how things were. In reading this masterpiece, as I approached the end, I missed the early morning years just before Freedom Summer, between 1961-1964, when lesser knowns were working the streets canvassing, getting the world out, hosting mass meetings and citizenship classes, learning the power of the vote, all found within 75% of the work Payne put into his book. The last 25% is basically looking forward, which is never easy for historians to do.

Amazing piece of history; amazing historical research and scholarship. A must read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I've Got the Light of Freedom.

January 17, 2014 – Started Reading