Sandy Ferguson's Reviews > The Cost of Discipleship

The Cost of Discipleship by Dietrich Bonhoeffer

M 50x66
Dec 30, 2009

Where does one begin?
This is a book that will profoundly change your understanding about what it means to be a person of faith in the world. Bonhoeffer challenges us to look beyond the values of this world, and asks us are we willing to embrace the true cost of discipleship? His analysis of cheap grace, and its corrupting influence reminds us that there are times that we have to challenge the powers of this world, that there are times when to be a good Christian means we can't always be a good citizen.
Bonhoeffer wrote in the shadow of evil, made even worse by the reality that many so-called Christians were only too willing to serve Adolf Hitler and his evil regime. Bonhoeffer makes it clear to the reader that cheap grace is at the heart of such fatal compromises of faith, that allow evil to flourish. It is through understanding costly grace, that we can embrace discipleship that will allow us to witness to this world in such a way that we are freed from the powers of this world.
Bonhoeffer's words are just as important today, as they were in the dark days of the Nazis, and will always challenge us in our faith.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cost of Discipleship.

Started Reading
January 1, 2000 – Finished Reading
December 30, 2009 – Shelved

message 1: by Samek (new)

Samek agree with you