Corey's Reviews > Side Effects May Vary

Side Effects May Vary by Julie   Murphy

2058959

With this beautiful debut, Julie Murphy has more than solidified her place in the world of young adult fiction.

For starters--she gives us a badass, unapologetic heroine with whom we experience so many emotions--humor, love, sympathy, pity, regret. There's even a chance Alice will piss you off a few times. But that's because she's that real. A character brought fully to life by her endlessly human struggles.

And then she gives us Harvey--who is quite possibly the most charming, adorable kid I've ever met on a page. Harvey gives the story this quiet heartbeat that keeps the reader grounded in a sense of hope--a sense that no matter what unfolds, this boy loves this girl and everything will be okay.

And she gives us one hell of a story about life, death, and life again. It's a rare treat to read something that makes you smile and cry, often at the same time. But, Julie Murphy treats her readers like she does her characters--with a love and respect that has to be experienced to be understood.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Side Effects May Vary.

Finished Reading