Jules's Reviews > Der Besuch des Leibarztes

Der Besuch des Leibarztes by Per Olov Enquist

F 50x66
Dec 30, 2009

bookshelves: historical-fiction, postmodernism, 2010

I'd had this lying around for many a year until I finally decided to tackle it. I didn't think much of it; the description sounded only vaguely interesting, the cover and title didn't do much for me either.

Little did I know I'd find something so utterly captivating and postmodern here. I should have reviewed it earlier than two weeks after I've finished it so that I could have recounted what makes it so postmodern (aside from the disjointed narrative); alas, I think I shall have to read the book again to remedy this.

I think the only thing I found missing to give it five stars was a bigger concern with King Christian VII.'s madness later on in the book (beautiful beginning) and the continuous use of "!!!" or "???", which I HATE HATE HATE. It takes away believability for me, for some reason. If the author had chosen just single symbols, that would have done a lot to save me from narrowing my eyes again and again, heh.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Der Besuch des Leibarztes.

December 30, 2009 – Shelved