Navessa's Reviews > Fire & Flood

Fire & Flood by Victoria Scott
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fire & Flood.

January 16, 2014 – Started Reading
January 16, 2014 – Shelved
page 1
0.33% "Please don't suck."
page 14
4.59% ""I glance at the clock. It's ten at night, and my parents look like they could run a marathon. I stare at them as they stare at their books and will them to become tired. After five minutes of mental warfare, I give up. But just then my dad yawns. Victory is mine!"\n \n This is really entertaining so far."
page 98
32.13% ""There is a leech on my body. \n Oh my God. Oh my friggin' God. \n Strangely, my first concern is to not let anyone else see. I just want to handle it and then have mild panic attacks for the rest of the day."\n \n *shudder*"
page 250
81.97% "I am disappoint. God this review is going to be long."
January 16, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 172 (172 new)

Kathylill thinking the same ...

Navessa So far...it doesn't suck. I really like the MC's self deprecating sense of humor.

message 3: by Cathryn (new) - added it

Cathryn Oh no. :(

Navessa This review is gonna be loooooooong.

Kathylill Oh noooo

Navessa Jenny, you're going to tear it apart if you get it. Take The Hunger Games but replace Katniss with someone who's the complete opposite of her in every way imaginable. This. Fucking. Chick. Do you know how many times she saved herself? ZERO. How many times others saved her? Fifteen. FML. She's there to save her brother but is more focused on how ugly she must look with mud on her face. Also, the romance is fucking horrible. HORRIBLE.

Spider the Doof Warrior Ugh. Why are there so many of these kind of books?

Navessa No idea. I thought Dante Walker was pretty original so I figured this would be too. My mistake.

message 9: by Angela (new) - added it

Angela Aw, and to think I was looking forward to this... :(

Navessa Ach! Sorry :(

message 11: by Angela (new) - added it

Angela Haha, it's okay. It's better to know before reading it. :)

Dear ARC, I no longer treasure you as much.

Andrea ❤Ninja Bunneh❤ I hope I get denied. Pray for me.

message 13: by Armina (new) - added it

Armina Andrea ❤Ninja Bunneh❤ wrote: "I hope I get denied. Pray for me."

Hahaha! Guys, I always can count on your ARC requests comments to keep me entertained :))). First World Problems :P

Anyhow, I had kind of high hopes for this as well but not anymore ..... . Looking forward to the full review though :)).

Andrea ❤Ninja Bunneh❤ JennyJen wrote: "*Hopes that if publisher is trying to decide between Andrea and I, Andrea gets this arc"

Evilllllllll woman!!!!!
Isn't it bad enough I have Heart of Stone to read? Do you not have any sympathy? *sobs*

Mairéad (is roaming the Undying Lands) Oh my, good luck guys. D:

message 17: by Eric (new)

Eric Plume You know a book has GOT to be bad when people start talking about a free copy using the same terms they'd reach for to describe a root canal ("oh shit, now it's MY turn"). :D

Faye, la Patata Eeeeek. Does it feel like Hunger Games? And I was so excited for this, too.

Jessie I loved Fire & Flood and I think it's best that The Hunger Games! :(

Stuti (Turmeric isn't your friend. It will fly your ship IKR? It was so similar with the arenas and shit. I actually felt embarrassed for the author and tried to make up a game- keeping a tally wherever I found something unique.

Navessa Ha! I did the se thing, Stuti. Other than how different the MC was than Katniss, I found very little.

Stuti (Turmeric isn't your friend. It will fly your ship Everyone thinks they can survive THG these days. And I didn't even get the inclusion of animals! What was the point except that they were cute and awesome? They basically destroyed any opportunity of the guys showing survival skills. And HOW on earth did the elephant manage to walk in the desert?

Navessa The book NEEDED those animals. Because if she didn't have Madox she would have been jungle food within a day.

Stuti (Turmeric isn't your friend. It will fly your ship That woulda been better. I just thought it was a cop out. SHE shoulda roughened up and saved herself but noooooooooooooo. That cannot happen.

Navessa This fucking book. *grumbles*

Stuti (Turmeric isn't your friend. It will fly your ship You have a lot of 'fucking books' this time around. Mwhahahahhahhaa!

message 27: by Elaine (new)

Elaine Oh boy.

Navessa Done. Rant up. I took off a star because I realized how pissed off I was while typing it all.

Kathylill perfect review.

Navessa Thanks, Kathy. Ooh, I see you rated it the same. Time to check yours out.

Aly is so frigging bored "The Point. I don't get it."

OMG =))))))) I have lots of books when I ask myself if there WAS a point...

message 32: by Komal (new)

Komal Spineless chicks. Why do authors even write about them if they're not going to grow and stand up for themselves eventually? This book sounds ridiculous. I'm not sorry you had to go through this because your rants reviews are A+, Cory.

message 33: by Jeff (new)

Jeff I would love to be the fly on the wall as you search out Gifs for you reviews. "Gnome vomiting rainbow", "woman and hot dogs thrown at face", "raging dude".

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Whelp, won't be reading this then.

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks for another great review. I'm still searching for the next Katniss and it's a shame that all these female writers create such weak female characters that only care about some manly man to save them.

message 36: by Navessa (last edited Jan 17, 2014 07:17AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Navessa @ Aly: SERIOUSLY, WHAT WAS THE POINT?! ARGH!

@ Komal: I have no idea why they do it, it drives me bugfuck. And thank you.

@ Jeff: Cackling is involved.

@ Crimson: Don't. Seriously. I think anyone that enjoyed THG will hate this with the fiery power of a thousand dying stars.

@ Kathleen: OMG thank you! I keep reading these badass chicks written by men and then I get wet blankets and DiDs written by women. WHY?!

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

Litchick (is going to Hogwarts) wrote: "@ Aly: SERIOUSLY, WHAT WAS THE POINT?! ARGH!

@ Komal: I have no idea why they do it, it drives me bugfuck. And thank you.

@ Jeff: Cackling is involved.

@ Crimson: Don't. Seriously. I think an..."

Having logic is a curse. Who the hell takes the time to think about their looks in a Death Race? Who!? DAMNIT! WHO!?

And Rape Culture in general and female hate...ugh. What in hell are these authors thinking when they write this shit?

message 38: by Jeff (new)

Jeff I cackle when I am creating insane, obtuse passwords for people. BWAHAHAHAhA

Navessa @ Crimson: I could have written a novella about the rape culture in this book. I had articles pulled up, references, etc, and then I had to stop myself, because I've done that before with FSoG and I didn't want this review to end up being 5k longer. >.<

@ Jeff: You would. You. Would.

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

This is why I read books written by male authors because they actually tend to write great female characters better than women. Coraline, A Song of Ice and Fire, The Fault in Our Stars? I can go on for years.

Navessa Yes they do. And thank God for that or I'd lose my mind.

message 42: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Great review!
No seriously, it was fantastic. I laughed, I cried, I raged. ;) This is getting put on my mental "no way in hell" list.

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

Litchick (is going to Hogwarts) wrote: "Yes they do. And thank God for that or I'd lose my mind."

I know.

Navessa @ Samantha: Thank you!

@ Crimson: Le sigh.

message 45: by Cathryn (new) - added it

Cathryn That's so disappointing. The synopsis sounded interesting. I guess Suzanne Collins is the exception to the depressing rule about female authors and their ability/inability to write a strong female character. Great review.

Navessa Thank you, Cathryn!

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

Cathryn wrote: "That's so disappointing. The synopsis sounded interesting. I guess Suzanne Collins is the exception to the depressing rule about female authors and their ability/inability to write a strong female ..."

Don't forget Mrs. Rowling.

message 48: by Cathryn (new) - added it

Cathryn I think Ms. Rowling is considered a god and not a mere author. :)

message 49: by Aldous (new)

Aldous Mercer Nice. "Please don't suck." has become my mantra when starting new books now.

message 50: by Angela (new)

Angela Great review! I'm so glad I passed on this one. Dodged a bullet there.

The rage this would have induced, Ugh.

« previous 1 3 4