Sandy Nawrot's Reviews > NOS4A2

NOS4A2 by Joe Hill

Jan 16, 2014

bookshelves: audio

Well, I consider myself a fan of Mr. Joe Hill, having truly enjoyed "Heart-Shaped Box" and "Horns", both on audio. The apple did not fall far from the tree in this case, as his work is creepy and quirky and employs an unabashed use of paranormal mixed with pure horror. Despite the fact that he IS Stephen King's son, however, he solidly holds his own. And boy did he outdo himself on this one! Holy cow. In the author's words, this is his senior thesis on horror fiction. It IS pretty scary, but also has a huge heart. He throws everything in the pot...a demonic 1939 Rolls Royce Wraith (Google it, it's a perfect evil car), a vampiric old man who steals children and takes them to "Christmas Land" where they stay young and innocent but develop bloodlust and pointy teeth, a tattooed heroine who rides a possessed Triumph motorcycle...I could go on and on. The protagonists are so damaged but so sympathetic and full of good, and the antagonist is SO BAD! Hill also pulls in a few references to some of his other books' characters AND some of his dad's characters as well. Which geeks me out. Suspend your belief and go for a ride my friends. This was 19 + hours of so much fun.

In a separate paragraph I must mention the narrator, Kate Mulgrew. At the end of the audio, Joe Hill talks to us a little, and expresses his delight in the job that Ms. Mulgrew did with his book. I listen to probably 50 audios a year or more, and I have never heard a performance such as this. Mulgrew is completely uninhibited. She is NUTS, in the best way possible. If you have any interest in this book, I would highly suggest listening to it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read NOS4A2.

January 16, 2014 – Started Reading