Amy Softa's Reviews > Allegiant

Allegiant by Veronica Roth

** spoiler alert ** Wow. When I started this last addition to the Divergent series I wasn't sure what to think. Too many books between the last one made me a little fuzzy about what was going on in this world and I had heard about the upset with some readers over the ending. I have to say I loved it, thought it was the best book in the entire series and was a beautiful, albeit sad, ending. This is a dystopian novel, there are going to be deaths and even though society often works out for the better at the end of these books it often comes with a very high cost. This book is no different. I think Allegiant is pretty realistic, for a made up harsh reality set in the future, I mean...I think the characters stayed true to their character and did what needed to be done and reacted to the events unfolding in an honest way.

Tris's sacrifice was a noble one and it didn't surprise me at all. Once I knew someone was going into the weapons room and face the death serum I knew it would be her and that she would be able to handle it. It is tragic that it was bullets in the end did her in. My hear breaks for Tobias and his loss, he spends his whole life looking for love, of any kind, finds it and then loses it. I am happy that he is able to find love and acceptance with his mother though and hope his able to someday move on from Tris in this new world they fought for.

I did enjoy learning in this book what exactly happen to the world we live in to turn it into the one in the book. Sometimes in dystopian novels you get this destroyed world/society but no back story as to how it ended up that way. This is something I wish more authors of these types of stories would share.

The end was sad. I finished the last 50-60 pages in tears last night in bed. My heart broke for the loss of beloved friends and especially for those who must live on. After finishing, though, I did have a sense of peace over it all and felt it was a good end for this series. Thank you Ms. Roth for sharing it with us. It truly was a beautiful and tragic journey.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Allegiant.

January 15, 2014 – Started Reading