Fani *loves angst*'s Reviews > A Game of Thrones

A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

Dec 28, 2009

bookshelves: sf-fantasy, audiobooks, keepers-non-romance
Read from March 21 to April 05, 2011

An amazing book and one of the best fantasy books I've read. On the other hand it was way too intense and I need a break before I go on with #2. The narrator took me some time to get used to, but eventually I came to really like him.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Game of Thrones.

03/21/2011 page 30
4.0% ""A ruler who hides behind paid executioners, soon forgets what death is." That sounds right to me." 28 comments
03/21/2011 page 101
12.0% "Well, it passed my gym test with honours! Since I normally hate exercise, everytime I really WANT to go to gym, means I have a good book to listen to. This one firs the bill and more."
03/22/2011 page 120
14.0% "I saw the author in an interview saying there were no good and evil people in this book, everyone has facets of both. I really wonder where the queen's good facet is hidden because I can't see it." 2 comments
03/22/2011 page 150
18.0% "What a prick Jeoffrey is!!! And Sensa is so stupid she totally deserves him."
03/23/2011 page 170
20.0% "Die stupid king! Die!%%$#%$&" 4 comments
03/23/2011 page 200
24.0% "Eeeeeehah! Way to go Dany!!!"
03/30/2011
40.0% "Loving it! Still don't know if Tyrian is to be trusted or not, but I like his character and fervently hate Sansa and the Queen."
03/31/2011
50.0% "f*cking amazing book! Now I know why it's so popular." 2 comments
04/01/2011
60.0% "Two unlikable heroes down, within the space of a few pages:)"
04/01/2011
60.0% ""Lord Baelish, what you suggest is treason.""Only if we loose"."
70.0% "Sansa, you stupid, $%^@!$# cow, die!!!! I hate you!" 9 comments
04/02/2011
80.0% "Damn those Lannisters, they seem to hold all the good cards:("
04/04/2011
90.0% "Everyone who's done a kind act in this book, has come to regret it. I guess the message of the book is "be ruthless if you want to win"."
04/04/2011
95.0% "Aaaah, Dany, you let me down my girl:( I didn't see that coming..."
04/04/2011
95.0% "F*ck! I didn't except that one. I don't like it, take it back:("

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead So is it hard to follow all the characters, do you ever feel like you are lost? Just asking since I want to do this book on audiobook and so you are my test subject! LOL

Fani *loves angst* I know:) I've been watching your updates for Name of the Wind pretty closely!
It's not difficult in general, but there are chapters when he suddenly comes back to heroes he hasn't dealt with in a while, and it takes me some time to realize who they are. I wouldn't say that as an audiobook it's one of the best I've read, but it's not bad either. I just know I would never read it otherwise, so audio is my only choice to get through this and I'm sticking with it.
The story is so engrossing so far, it makes up for any confusions I sometimes face. I'll see how it goes today and let you know more.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Fani wrote: "I know:) I've been watching your updates for Name of the Wind pretty closely!

Thanks for the update. It sounds similar to me with Name of the Wind!

Fani *loves angst* If it's similar, I'm interested! This one has a VEY engaging story to tell and many heroes to care for (and somne very evil ones to hate unfortunately).

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Fani wrote: "If it's similar, I'm interested! This one has a VEY engaging story to tell and many heroes to care for (and somne very evil ones to hate unfortunately)."

Sounds perfect. What about the narrator's voice (the actual audiobook reader not the story's narrator)? Does he do the characters okay? How do the females sound?

message 6: by Fani *loves angst* (last edited Mar 22, 2011 12:25PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Fani *loves angst* Well, for one there is no story narrator: in each chapter there is a name, the name of the hero whose POV we currently listen to.

I was not fond of him initially, he's a male of middle to older age it seems. Now I'm more used to him, but I still don't think he has the clearest voice I've heard. Not bad, not great either I guess.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Fani wrote: "Well, for one there is no story narrator: in each chapter there is a name, the name of the hero whose POV we currently listen to.

I was not fond of him initially, he's a male of middle to older ag..."

As long as you can get used to him that is not bad. The narrator for The Name of the Wind is brilliant with the various characters EXCEPT females. Thankfully, there are very few female characters. LOL!

message 8: by Fani *loves angst* (last edited Mar 22, 2011 12:38PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Fani *loves angst* I know what you mean:) Men are much more in ToK too. He's not that bad with women actually, even little girls, since many heroines are 13-15 years old. And yes, you do get used to him. Definitely hearable, lol

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Fani wrote: "He's not that bad with women actually, even little girls, since many heroines are 13-15 years old. ..."

LOL, if anyone reads your post out of context, they will get an eyeful. They will probably think you are talking about a sexual molestor!

Fani *loves angst* I just saw that. God it sounds awful, you're absolutely right:) And I don't seem to mind too much what he does, do I?

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Fani wrote: "I just saw that. God it sounds awful, you're absolutely right:) And I don't seem to mind too much what he does, do I?"

LOL!

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead So, you still loving the book? I ended up not loving The Name of the Wind. I still want to read and/or listen to this book but I'm worried. I keep thinking fantasy books are just not for me. They are too "Harry Potter" for me. I like violence, sex, and those bad things to be in my super long books (that makes me sound horrible but it is true). So, I keep checking your updates...wondering if I should go for it (especially since the HBO show is coming out). Wow, this one long winded comment!

message 13: by Fani *loves angst* (last edited Apr 03, 2011 10:21PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Fani *loves angst* Michelle, I noticed yesterday that this book costs only 1 credit in audible as opposed to the 2 credits that it used to cost a month ago (the next 3 books are all 2 credits worth though). So now may be the time to buy it:)

I really love this one. I'm getting the idea that NOTW was more descriptive and character than action based, am I correct? However, this is different. There's a lot of action and machinations that tip the balance of power every 30 pages or so; you never know how a plan they figure will turn out. There is a little non-descriptive sex and there's barely any romance so far, but the action and intrigue is non stop. I find it very hard to put down personally and would gladly recommend it to others. And it's too dark to be described as "harry potter"-ish. Mainly, it's 3 Houses battling for power over the same kingdom, but there are others that are more or less involved in the fight too. In this book we see things mainly from the 2 of the Houses' perspectives but I'm warned that in the following books, we'll see what the other House is thinking too. And there is also an unaccounted for enemy coming from the north, that's a big danger to all of them. I believe there is so much action and surprises, that it's hard to make you bored. OK, I sound like a fanatic now, so I'll stop.

You could check out all those trailers in youtube and see if you like it there. For me, it was the trailers that made me check out the book.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Fani wrote: "Michelle, I noticed yesterday that this book costs only 1 credit in audible as opposed to the 2 credits that it used to cost a month ago (the next 3 books are all 2 credits worth though). So now ma..."

Ok, so you totally sold me on it. I'm "game". Now whether to read it or go the audiobook route...decisions, decisions!

Fani *loves angst* Hooray:) I hope you don't hate me for it later Michelle, lol.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Fani wrote: "Hooray:) I hope you don't hate me for it later Michelle, lol."

Never, that won't happen. Even if I don't like it (which I doubt), I'm still happy I'm finally going to go for it with this book. After I finish The Fiery Cross, this will be next up. I can only handle one 700+ page book at a time.

message 17: by Fani *loves angst* (last edited Apr 04, 2011 12:12AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Fani *loves angst* I can only handle a 700+ page book once or twice a year, so you're much braver than I am:) Good luck with Game of Thrones then!

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Fani wrote: "I can only handle a 700+ page book once or twice a year, so you're much braver than I am:) Good luck with Game of Thrones then!"

I love long, good books!

BJ Rose Fani, I agree that this is a fantastic fantasy epic! I've been waiting so long for book 5 to come out that I've started listening to the books again to make sure I don't get lost when I listen to A Dance with Dragons - it's finally due out in July. If I do one a month, I'll be ready just in time!

Fani *loves angst* We might go at them together BJ, because I really loved this one:) I just need a quick break and I'll be starting #2 real soon!
Do you know if the new book will be the last of the series or not?

BJ Rose I understand it was originally meant to be a 4-book epic, but that he had too much he wanted to put into book 4 to make it viable, so he decided to make it 5 books instead of 4. I personally did not like the way he left things happening *or not happening* at the end of A Feast for Crows, but at least you won't have to wait very long (or at all) to jump right into book 5, which I hope brings things to a close - he sure spent long enough!

Fani *loves angst* Good for me:) I seem to have chosen the right time to jump on this train!

BJ Rose I'm all geared up for the HBO miniseries of A Game of Thrones which begins April 17th. My son is also a big fan, so I'm depending on him to make sure I don't forget. Trailers of it look pretty good!

message 24: by Tina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tina @BJ, you are correct. There were originally supposed to be 4 books in the series. But then when he got to book four he had too much story left. There are 7 books planned in the series. GRRM says that the 5th book coming out in July is a monster, big like A Storm of Swords big (which was 973 pages long). I am also listening to a Feast for Crows in prep for the next book because I read it when it first came out back in 2004. And it is the only book of the series I've only read once. So I have to bring myself up to speed. LOL.

Fani *loves angst* 7 books! I hope we do get to see the end of the series, because Martin is quite old already!

I plan to watch the series myself. Hopefully youtube will allow me to do so.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Ok Fani, thank you, thank you, thank you! I finished book 1 AND LOVED IT!

Fani *loves angst* You're welcome Michelle! I was anxious about suggesting that, because it's a rather long book for someone to read and if they don't like it well... they'd probably hate me forever:)

But I'm glad it worked for you too! I think I may start the second book tomorrow or the day after tomorrow if you're into it. Are you ready to go on with the series or do you need a break?

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Fani wrote: "You're welcome Michelle! I was anxious about suggesting that, because it's a rather long book for someone to read and if they don't like it well... they'd probably hate me forever:)

But I'm glad i..."

I'm going to start book 2 today but I have a ton of work so I won't get beyond a few pages. If you want to start tomorrow, that will be great.

Fani *loves angst* I'll probably do just that:)

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Fani wrote: "I'll probably do just that:)"

I've only read 1/2 of the world's longest prologue in book 2...lol, I'll probably be still on it a week from now. Damn this prologue is long!!!

Fani *loves angst* Is it a recap of events in the first book or just silly intro?

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Fani wrote: "Is it a recap of events in the first book or just silly intro?"

It takes place at Dragonstone from Maester Cressen POV. It's just long. I know it is important but I want to get to the major players that I know & love. We do learn that Lord Stannis is a big old bitter grump.

Fani *loves angst* Hmm, I've already forgotten some of the names and their role in the plot:( Stannis is Lannister's father?

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Stannis is Stannis Baratheon, he's the middle son of Steffon, his older brother was King Robert, younger brother is Renly. He's the one they describe in GoT as without laughter, and that he probably only bedded his wife one or two times a year. He has one daughter Shireen (spelling?) who had some type of disease that made her look deformed.

Fani *loves angst* Ah, gotcha!

message 36: by Eastofoz (new)

Eastofoz I've been thinking of getting this one but I'm not a fan of fantasy especially without romance :-/ Any reason you got the audio book instead of the print?

Fani *loves angst* I have to say there is no romance in this one, or at least too little to count. For a weird reason, I find it boring to read fantasy, especially such long books, and prefer to listen to it:) They have lots of action and can keep me hooked up, which is a good thing since I sometimes tend to drift off, if the audiobook's slow.
So no specific reason I guess, just following my usual preferences for fantasy books.

message 38: by Eastofoz (new)

Eastofoz Ok. Yeah I don't think this is for me. Better off watching the tv version (lol!)

Fani *loves angst* You can see the show and decide later I guess:)

message 40: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH I'm not usually into the long fantasy books, but I am finding it a very fast read. So much plotting and conniving and clever characters. It's fun to read.

Fani *loves angst* I agree AH. I stayed away from Kushiel's Dart because it's very long and I understand slower than this, but in this one I didn't ever get bored. It's perfectly suited for a movie or series, all action and twists. Glad to see you like it!