Veronica of V's Reads's Reviews > Ethan

Ethan by Nicole Edwards

bookshelves: adult, contemporary, erotica, male-male

This is the first novel from Nicole Edwards that features a M/M romance. It is a Walker Brother's novel--there are 7 delicious Walker sons, for anyone who is counting...

Ethan Walker is gay. He's known this his whole life. He isn't out, but he's not celibate. He's just...quiet. See, Ethan's been subject to a homophobic attack--one he barely survived. His first lover died too young, as well, and Ethan doesn't want his family to suffer. He works for the family business, keeping his head down and his matters private. Currently he has a sexual relationship with co-worker, Blake, though that is on the outs...

Beau Bennett is a childhood friend of Ethan's younger brother Zane. Beau has just come to embrace his homosexual nature, though he isn't out. He is openly attracted to Ethan, however, and when Blake quits and Beau is laid off from his shop it's almost natural to expect Beau will come to work for Ethan.

Ethan fights the straight-forward Beau, unwilling to attempt a real relationship while closeted, but the attraction is fierce. Learning that Beau is completely naive to most homosexual acts, Ethan's eventually drawn in. They remain cloistered, despite urging from Ethan's family to come out. See, they're totally supportive. And they love Beau longtime. All they want if for Ethan to be happy--something that hasn't happened since his first lover Gavin died ten years ago.

Old wrongs are being aired--mainly by hostile homophobes--and the Walker family unites behind Ethan--and Beau.

There are so many beautiful moments in this story. I'm rather used to the menage scenes that populate Edwards' work. We've known Beau since his homosexual revelation in Zane. Beau's quiet, unassuming nature makes for a burly Bear. And Ethan's a manbeast himself. So, the two of them make a fantastic couple, one I unashamedly rooted for. The sex is molten. The men are delicious. And the heart of this story is, I think, stronger than the previous Walker novels. Having both men come out to their families--with mixed results--rang true to me. I really loved it.

Some typos and formatting issues...as is true of all Edwards books. Do not expect sterling grammar or golden dialogue. The story is a gem, however.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ethan.

Started Reading