booklady's Reviews > Viper's Tangle

Viper's Tangle by François Mauriac

Dec 28, 2009

bookshelves: 2010, classic, family, hagiography, historical-fiction, literature, philosophy, religion, psychology, theology, spiritual, worth-reading-over-and-over, 2016
Read from January 17 to 18, 2010

“. . . Consider, O God, that we are without understanding of ourselves; that we do not know what we would have and set ourselves at an infinite distance from our desires.” ~St. Teresa of Avila

It isn’t often anymore I finish a book in a couple of days but today I was sick and the sickbed does have one advantage: you can’t do very much but sleep and lay around. In between sleeping, I read François Mauriac’s masterpiece, Viper’s Tangle. This is the fourth novel I’ve read from the Loyola Classics Series, each one excellent, but this is The Best by far. It opens with the quote by St. Teresa above.

Written in 1932, Viper’s Tangle begins with a bitter, but wealthy, old man’s recriminating letter to his wife of forty years. His family is waiting on him to die; he wants to let them know a few things first. M. Louis has been writing this last ‘confession’ in his mind for much of his married life, almost from the beginning when his young bride told him of an indiscretion. In many ways, Mauriac is painting an Everyman who takes a wrong turn and then continues to compound his error with more bad choices all the while lost and estranged in the drama and tragedies of family life and allowing hate and greed to motivate him. As misunderstood by himself as by everyone else, he withdraws further, increasingly cynical, exacerbated by the pious practices of his Catholic wife and children whose religiosity doesn’t transcend and transform their lives.

The title of the book refers to M. Louis’s heart which he admits was a knot of vipers. Whether or not you ‘get’ Viper’s Tangle will depend on whether or not you believe in salvation and the power of God’s Grace to transform souls. Fortunately for us readers, Louis’s diatribe gets interrupted. Things happen which bring the plot of the story from past accusations to present actions.

It wouldn’t be a believable story if everyone just “lived happily ever after” and if this novel is anything (in my heart) it’s believable. So, no things don’t just get happy-happy all of sudden. But there is an awakening, transformation and redemption, for those willing to accept it.

There was so much insight in this book, I’d love to quote you all the beautiful passages I highlighted—especially those which made me cry—but that would make this post far too long. Instead I’ll just close with this:
‘Most men ape greatness or nobility. Though they do not know it, they conform to certain fixed types, literary or other. This the saints know, and they hate and despise themselves because they see themselves with unclouded eyes.’

August 2016 update: A friend here on GRs who ‘liked’ my 2010 review has departed. It is another reminder to me of the brevity and transitoriness of all things.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Viper's Tangle.

03/02/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

An author I'd like to get to know. Can't wait to hear what you think.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm going to have to read this.

John Powerful book. His pride makes him so petty. He makes himself and his whole family miserable. I'm ashamed to admit that Louis makes me very uncomfortable. I'm at times too like him.

booklady John wrote: "Powerful book. His pride makes him so petty. He makes himself and his whole family miserable. I'm ashamed to admit that Louis makes me very uncomfortable. I'm at times too like him."

That's what makes it such a good book John--when we can see ourselves (and our faults) in characters. But actually I think it would be far worse if you couldn't. We all hurt those we love the most...