Kiera Beddes's Reviews > Reboot

Reboot by Amy Tintera

Jan 14, 2014

liked it
bookshelves: apocalyptic, action-adventure, sci-fi, set-in-usa, ya-lit, dystopian

Genre: undead soldiers, regaining humanity, inexplicable love story
Summary: Wren is a Reboot, a person who has risen from the dead as the unforeseen side effect of a deadly virus. Trained to be an emotionless super soldier, Wren is perfect at following orders until one day, new Reboot Callum helps her recover what is left of her humanity.
Response: I think the premise was more interesting than the actual execution. It was like a weird mix between that Romeo and Juliet zombie movie Warm Bodies and that secret spy TV show Nikita.
So the Reboots are faster and stronger than humans and can heal super fast. They are pretty much unstoppable unless you shoot them in the head...so they are zombies? That wasn't really made clear. They don't need to eat, but they still do...they don't have normal human emotion, but...they still do...
And the central relationship in the book, between Wren and Callum, that was just odd because there was no reason behind it. He just liked her from the get-go, even though she was an emotionless machine that broke his bones... Like I said, that was weird, even though I liked Callum's character otherwise.
Some other things I didn't fully understand, like what exactly the big bad HARC was all about. There was a general sense of dystopia, but there could have been more explanation about what the society was like and how it got that way.
I don't know if I will finish the series, as it is, I'm good leaving it at this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reboot.

January 14, 2014 – Shelved