Flelly's Reviews > The Measure of a Man: A Spiritual Autobiography

The Measure of a Man by Sidney Poitier

Dec 28, 2009

it was ok

This book is like a chocolate chip cookie. THe chocolate chips are the nuggets of wisdom and interest. The cookie part is macho bull**it. Unfortunately, there are not quite enough chips in it. Lots of ego.
I have embarked upon a cinematographic investigation of Sidney Poitier's work as a result of reading the book, though. And he is a really great film presence. I am happy for the introduction.
The last line of the book summed it up for me. I don't know how I will feel at that age, but I sure hope I don't describe life the way that he did in the last line.
I suspect that I don't have the testosterone to fully appreciate his POV.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Measure of a Man.

10/01 marked as: read

message 1: by Lyn (new)

Lyn Can't wait! To read yer thoughts- Gender sh** and the genesis of culture is about the only interesting things about humans. I was watching King Kong the other day, and Fay Wray was seriously creepy- trying to be sensuous which came off like she was unhinged. Then I watched an old Bette Davis flick and I was relieved. I will rent poitier. But how dare you equate Machismo and chocolate chip cookies- yer such a chick:) One is dangerous and the other good.

Flelly When you are a chick, they are both dangerous.