Laura Caitlin's Reviews > The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and Other Jazz Age Stories

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and Other Jazz Age Stories by F. Scott Fitzgerald

Dec 28, 2009

liked it
Read in March, 2010

I've read the first half of this re-compiled series. These stories are from a selection of stories that some looked upon simply as F. Scott Fitzgerald's bread and butter writing. This collection (previously published as Jazz Age Stories) was edited by Patrick O'Donnell, who points out that while Fitzgerald relied on these and other short stories to keep cash flowing between novels, he also used his short fiction to try out new writing techniques, points of view, etc.

"Bernice Bobs Her Hair" is fab; Even though I saw the movie in my high school history class (creative of my teacher to use it to tell us about the '20s), I was surprised by the happenings and ending of the book.

While most of the stories are sexist in the extreme, his word choices and witty phraseology -- as well as the understanding that the book was written many years ago -- let me enjoy the book anyway.

As much as I hate that I chose this book because of its connection with the hit movie (the movie can't possibly do the story justice), I'm glad I did. I loved The Great Gatsby in high school, and now I'm enjoying reading more of and about F. Scott Fitzgerald.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and Other Jazz Age Stories.