HungryVampire's Reviews > Dragonfly in Amber

Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon

2781996
Jan 14, 2014

bookshelves: romance, fantasy

"Dragonfly in Amber," by Diana Gabaldon, is the second book in the Outlander series. The story started slowly and for me, parts of the story seemed to walk by slowly as well. However, with that said, I would not skip one word in this whole book.

If you have read the first book, you know the story is about a 1945 WWII nurse who falls through time and ends up in the 18th century. In the story, we got a glimpse of how she coped with the English and the Scots, the hard times, and how she was saved from death numerous times.

In this second book, we're back in the 20th century, but we have no explanation until she tells her story to her daughter and the son of the ol’ reverend. Claire tells of her adventures in extensive detail. On several occasions, I had to bring out the tissue because I felt as if I were in Claire’s shoes, suffering as she suffered.

My overall opinion of this book was definitely 5-stars! Yes, I struggled with parts and it took longer than usual to get through the book. However, I wouldn't give up one second of my time reading it. I felt that the author did very well at immersing me into the story, putting me right there shoulder to shoulder with Claire. I also felt that I got a good dose of Scottish and English history. Whether all or none of it was truly from our history books didn't matter. Gabaldon's method of writing made you believe it was an historic event!

This is such a beautiful love story too. I swoon every time I think about getting back into the story. There's nothing fake about the love between Claire and Jamie.

Now, onward to "Voyager!"

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dragonfly in Amber.

January 14, 2014 – Shelved
January 14, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
October 29, 2014 – Started Reading
October 29, 2014 –
November 2, 2014 –
5.0% "Chapter 3, and though the story is very well written, I find that I'm missing the main love story. Book 2 is quite different, so far, however I am ONLY 3 chapters in... So, I'm hopeful!"
November 4, 2014 –
14.0% "Now I'm in the past! :)"
November 16, 2014 –
November 20, 2014 –
December 1, 2014 –
December 2, 2014 –
December 6, 2014 –
December 7, 2014 –
December 10, 2014 –
45.0% "Chapter 23 -- This is an awesome story, but it's a slow read for me."
December 14, 2014 –
December 15, 2014 –
December 18, 2014 –
December 26, 2014 –
December 27, 2014 –
December 28, 2014 – Shelved as: romance
December 28, 2014 – Shelved as: fantasy
December 28, 2014 – Finished Reading

message 1: by RusticBooks (new)

RusticBooks Thanks!!! Appreciate the recommendation