Loveland Library Teens's Reviews > In Darkness

In Darkness by Nick Lake

bookshelves: historical-fiction

A Haitian boy trapped in darkness after an earthquake destroys most of the country connects through the centuries with revolutionary Touissant l’Ouverture, famous for leading the slaves to freedom. The author tackles the hard questions of inequality, faith and freedom through a back-and-forth look at Haiti then and now. This book’s real strength lies in the fact that the brutal poverty, gang violence and vodou common in Site Soley, a slum city considered the most dangerous place in the world, lend insight to the inner lives of its inhabitants without drowning out their voices. An author’s note at the end clarifies the historical truths and fictions in the story, providing a satisfying perspective. The cover art of a boy’s profile suffused with text in the bright colors of Haiti’s flag will be both simple and eye-catching to teen readers. This book made me truly feel the connections between time and space that we all share, that shape us into who we are and that we have the power to change.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In Darkness.

Finished Reading