Melissa Rochelle's Reviews > The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry

The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin

bookshelves: ebook, arc, read-2014, teary-eyed

There's nothing like crying over a book in the break room over lunch. (Luckily, my co-workers just thought I had a cold.)

I was immediately pulled into the world of Island Books. A.J., Amelia, Maya, Lambiase, Ismay, Daniel...I loved them all despite their flaws. Each chapter begins with A.J.'s thoughts on a short story thus making this one of my favorite kinds of books: A book about books & readers. And there's so much more I want to say about this book but I don't have the words to say it because I am not a writer. Basically, I want all of you to read it so we can talk about how wonderful it is.

I highlighted so many good parts -- so many truths about the reading experience -- as I was reading the eGalley (provided by the publisher via Edelweiss) that I'm so sad it's going to expire and I'll lose my highlights...it just means I'll have to read it again when I buy my own copy.

I have a really difficult time writing about books that I love, but if you like books about books or have always wished you could work in a bookstore or love books about small-towns or just love books, then you should definitely read this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry.

January 13, 2014 – Started Reading
January 13, 2014 – Shelved
January 13, 2014 –
page 140
53.85% "I love books about books and people who read books."
January 14, 2014 –
page 230
88.46% "Crying in the break room...that's professional. :-/ Fantastic book."
January 14, 2014 – Finished Reading
January 16, 2014 – Shelved as: ebook
January 16, 2014 – Shelved as: arc
January 16, 2014 – Shelved as: read-2014
January 16, 2014 – Shelved as: teary-eyed

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Robin You said it all very well (and yes, call yourself a writer!), and I agree it's tough to talk about books we love, which is why I haven't yet written my review. :-)

Melissa Rochelle Robin wrote: "You said it all very well (and yes, call yourself a writer!), and I agree it's tough to talk about books we love, which is why I haven't yet written my review. :-)"

Thanks, Robin! Good luck writing your review. ;-)