Leontina's Reviews > The Night Circus

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

Jan 13, 2014

bookshelves: favorites

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Circus.

Quotes Leontina Liked

Erin Morgenstern
“Stories have changed, my dear boy,” the man in the grey suit says, his voice almost imperceptibly sad. “There are no more battles between good and evil, no monsters to slay, no maidens in need of rescue. Most maidens are perfectly capable of rescuing themselves in my experience, at least the ones worth something, in any case. There are no longer simple tales with quests and beasts and happy endings. The quests lack clarity of goal or path. The beasts take different forms and are difficult to recognize for what they are. And there are never really endings, happy or otherwise. Things keep overlapping and blur, your story is part of your sister’s story is part of many other stories, and there in no telling where any of them may lead. Good and evil are a great deal more complex than a princess and a dragon, or a wolf and a scarlet-clad little girl. And is not the dragon the hero of his own story? Is not the wolf simply acting as a wolf should act? Though perhaps it is a singular wolf who goes to such lengths as to dress as a grandmother to toy with its prey.”

Erin Morgenstern
“Someone needs to tell those tales. When the battles are fought and won and lost, when the pirates find their treasures and the dragons eat their foes for breakfast with a nice cup of Lapsang souchong, someone needs to tell their bits of overlapping narrative. There's magic in that. It's in the listener, and for each and every ear it will be different, and it will affect them in ways they can never predict. From the mundane to the profound. You may tell a tale that takes up residence in someone's soul, becomes their blood and self and purpose. That tale will move them and drive them and who knows what they might do because of it, because of your words. That is your role, your gift. Your sister may be able to see the future, but you yourself can shape it, boy. Do not forget that... there are many kinds of magic, after all.”

Erin Morgenstern
“We lead strange lives, chasing our dreams around from place to place.”

Erin Morgenstern
“Life takes us to unexpected places sometimes. The future is never set in stone, remember that.”

Erin Morgenstern
“The most difficult thing to read is time. Maybe because it changes so many things.”

Erin Morgenstern
“You're in the right place at the right time, and you care enough to do what needs to be done. Sometimes that's enough.”

Erin Morgenstern
“I find I think of myself not as a writer so much as someone who provides a gateway, a tangential route for readers to reach the circus. To visit the circus again, if only in their minds, when they are unable to attend it physically. I relay it through printed words on crumpled newsprint, words that they can read again and again, returning to the circus whenever they wish, regardless of time of day or physical location. Transporting them at will.
When put that way, it sounds rather like magic, doesn't it?”

Erin Morgenstern
“Is it not that bad to be trapped somewhere, then? Depending on where you're trapped?"

"I suppose it depends on how much you like the place you're trapped in," Widget says.

"And how much you like whoever you're stuck there with," Poppet adds, kicking his black boot with her white one.”

Erin Morgenstern
“The past stays on you the way powdered sugar stays on your fingers. Some people can get rid of it but it’s still there, the events and things that pushed you to where you are now.”

January 13, 2014 – Started Reading