Annalisa's Reviews > Catalyst

Dec 27, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: young-adult
Read on December 26, 2009

Along with some editorial mistakes, I had a few issues with the book. First, I wish Anderson didn't focus on that physical self discovery in all her male characters, especially ones that aren't the protagonist. Seriously, what does it add to a story? Secondly, I just didn't buy that Kate would be so willing to let Teri get away with stealing from her and let years of bullying slide. I get that her father was the preacher and she had years of experience being the adult in her family, but still, if Anderson had made me feel Kate's perturbed thoughts and resentment about this girl, it would have made the ending more poignant when she came around. Third, I just wasn't that attached to any of the characters, not Kate, especially not Mitch, and Teri I could take or leave. I nonetheless felt Kate's desperation about her college application and after finishing the book felt sad, not depressed, but just a little reflective and sad. Anderson is a master of playing with your emotions and even though I wasn't crazy about this story, she still did what she's so good at. Not one of Anderson's best, but still decent ya fiction.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Catalyst.