Evgeny's Reviews > Guilty Pleasures

Guilty Pleasures by Laurell K. Hamilton

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy

The book belongs to urban fantasy genre; it was written long before the term was created. So humans did something really stupid (in my opinion formed after I finished reading) and legalized vampires despite the fact that these creatures need to kill people to exist - as everybody knows.
Vampire
To justify this I can only say that this is not the first time the humanity acted like complete retards - we can all give countless real-life modern examples.

Anita Blake was a reanimator meaning she could raise zombies. This skill often comes handy as dead people can tell interesting tales.
Zombie
She also did not belong to vampire fan club; Bella Swan she was not. One day the master vampire of her city offered her a job she could not refuse; it was all about the right motivation obviously. It seemed somebody was killing innocent (huh???) vampires and Anita was to investigate or lose her life as well as get her friend killed. As the title implies Anita had some experience of dealing with annoying bloodsuckers so when they finally got on her nerves she realized it was time to quit acting stupid and start kicking some undead butts. Some long-awaited action finally came.

I was very surprised by some things about the book. Unlike what reviewers said it did not suck outright. In fact it was decent enough. I also found Kate Daniels' granny: Anita.
Kate Daniels
For those unfamiliar with the latter lady let me just say that Kate was heavily influenced by her and the influence is quite clear. Anita even possesses trademarked Kate's sarcastic humor. To be fair I have to say Kate Daniels writing is better.

Thus on the negative side the writing is not great (but passable) and there are plot holes and just illogical and just stupid things aplenty; Anita's IQ drops to single digit range sometimes. On the positive side any relative of the current Queen of urban fantasy deserves respect. I was never bored reading the book.

It night shock somebody, but I will give this novel the same rating as I gave to Kate Daniels #1: 3 stars. I have to say that there are 3 stars and there are 3 stars. This rating can mean "Nice, but I am not reading the next book" and also "I am mildly curious what comes next". This time I use the second meaning and will continue with the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Guilty Pleasures.

January 13, 2014 – Shelved
January 13, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
January 13, 2014 – Shelved as: fantasy
March 17, 2018 – Started Reading
March 17, 2018 –
5.0% "I am going to regret reading this, am I not?"
March 19, 2018 –
30.0% "Great moments follow absolute illogical stupid ones. One thing I am sure of: Anita Black is Kate Daniels grandmother - and her great inspiration."
March 21, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)

Patty ~ Wrapped Up In Reading Book Blog Enjoy Friend! :)
xoxo

Mich Must Read You just summed up Anita Blake perfectly. "Great moments follow illogical stupid ones." I just finished #6. The illogical stupidity multiplies as the series continues. But I guess I'm the illogical one, because I made it to #6.

SueBee★bring me an alpha!★ Great review and visuals Evgeny!

Alissa :D great review! That's exactly the point and what you're getting into (but less holey and better written)

message 6: by Caro (new)

Caro the Helmet Lady Bella Swan she was not. :D

Evgeny Patty Belongs To Kellan~Jesse~Lautner~Miller~Jack~Racer~Rafe~Liam~Prince Nicholas~Hayes~Simon~Gianluca & Archer wrote: "Enjoy Friend! :)
xoxo"

Thank you friend!

Evgeny Carol. wrote: "Yes."

Not yet. Moreover you made me curious with description of weird sex from the following books :)

Evgeny Mich wrote: "You just summed up Anita Blake perfectly. "Great moments follow illogical stupid ones." I just finished #6. The illogical stupidity multiplies as the series continues. But I guess I'm the illogical..."

Yes, what I said still stands after I finished this one.

Evgeny SueBee★bring me an alpha!★ wrote: "Great review and visuals Evgeny!"

Thank you SueBee!

Evgeny Alissa wrote: ":D great review! That's exactly the point and what you're getting into (but less holey and better written)"

Thank you Alissa!

Evgeny Caro wrote: "Bella Swan she was not. :D"

:D

message 13: by Kat (new)

Kat Valentine Fabulous review!!

message 14: by P. (new)

P. Kirby For those unfamiliar with the latter lady let me just say that Kate was heavily influenced by her and the influence is quite clear. While probably not the only author of the time trafficking in vampires, I think Hamilton set the stage for the many female paranormal detectives/cops/bounty hunters/etc. that would populate urban fantasy in the decades to come. I read this many years ago and my conclusion was about the same. It was okay but not memorable. Never read farther, which probably spared me watching the protagonist spend entire novels having peculiar sexcapades with any supernatural male in the vicinity.

message 15: by Jessica's (new)

Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession Awesome review sweetie :)

Adina :)) Agree that Kate Daniels borrows a lot from Anita but it is so much better. I could not get over Anita's stupidity so I will not continue with the series. Will new reading your reviews though.

Evgeny Kat wrote: "Fabulous review!!"

Thank you Kat!

Evgeny Jessica's wrote: "Awesome review sweetie :)"

Thank you Jessica!

Evgeny Adina wrote: ":)) Agree that Kate Daniels borrows a lot from Anita but it is so much better. I could not get over Anita's stupidity so I will not continue with the series. Will new reading your reviews though."

I doubt if I will be able to read lots of books of the series, but I will read at least the next one.

Evgeny P. wrote: "For those unfamiliar with the latter lady let me just say that Kate was heavily influenced by her and the influence is quite clear. While probably not the only author of the time trafficking in va..."

Yes. What is interesting is that Anita had no sex in this book and was not too obsessed with having some.

carol. Evgeny wrote: "What is interesting is that Anita had no sex in this book and was not too obsessed with having some. "

This too shall pass.

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) It seems all those delicious drugs they pumped into me were really high quality, long-lasting stuff: I still see a three-star rating here, and a most ridiculous comparison with Kate Daniels.

Evgeny Carol. wrote: "Evgeny wrote: "What is interesting is that Anita had no sex in this book and was not too obsessed with having some. "

This too shall pass."

Evgeny ✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) wrote: "It seems all those delicious drugs they pumped into me were really high quality, long-lasting stuff: I still see a three-star rating here, and a most ridiculous comparison with Kate Daniels."

I blame the quality of the drugs.

Μιχάλης Suckage begins after book 3 imho, reaches high levels after book 5. Books 1 & 2 were solid (even great considering when they were written)

message 26: by carol. (last edited Mar 25, 2018 11:31PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

carol. Evgeny wrote: ".You are (somewhat) responsible for my continuing the series. I really want to see how anybody could write that weird sex scene you described and keep the straight face.."

Hm, I just remembered the part where she takes a (literal) bite out of one of her partners. So it's even more fun than I remembered! However, I think that's much later.

My honest take--one of the plot devices happening each book is how to escalate sexual tension. By book 10, it's pretty boring, if one could possibly use that word to describe weird sex. But it's true.

Evgeny Μιχάλης wrote: "Suckage begins after book 3 imho, reaches high levels after book 5. Books 1 & 2 were solid (even great considering when they were written)"

I still have some reading to do before DNF :)

Evgeny Carol. wrote: "Evgeny wrote: ".You are (somewhat) responsible for my continuing the series. I really want to see how anybody could write that weird sex scene you described and keep the straight face.."

Hm, I jus..."

How many books have you read Carol? I am asking because most probably I stop reading the series before this.

carol. I gave up after book 11.

In my defense, I was desperate for the UF genre in 2000.