Lain's Reviews > 206 Bones

206 Bones by Kathy Reichs

Dec 27, 2009

liked it

I love Kathy Reichs, but despite the dramatic beginning (forensic anthropologist Tempe Brennan finds herself trapped, bound hand and foot, in what seems to be a crypt), this book was lacking in warmth and emotion.

Reichs hits all the points -- setting up a potentially career-ending threat of mishandling an autopsy -- and there are enemies galore. Ryan and her new beau make appearances, as does daughter Katy and ex Peter (and his extended Latvian clan). But while she might get a "6" from the judges for technical performance, her aristic score is floundering.

But Tempe as narrator merely reports what she's going through. She seems to be sleepwalking, and as a result, the reader feels like she's reading a newspaper report. I was interested in what was happening, but the pulse-racing that usually accompanies these types of books was notably missing. I felt the same way about her previous book, too.

I would suggest Reichs not worry so much on transmittal of facts, and instead work on the emotion, allowing the reader to empathize with her character.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 206 Bones.