Andy's Reviews > Helmet for My Pillow

Helmet for My Pillow by Robert Leckie

Dec 27, 2009

bookshelves: world-war-two, film-adaptation
Read in January, 2010

A book that starts with the author saying how sore is dick is after just being circumcised in order to join the marines, and early on an alligator dining on the Japanese soldier's corpse, has to be good. Leckie often relates his conflicts with commanding officers leading to various punishments and for the most part(drunkenly pointing a gun at an officer being the exception) his actions are easy to sympathize with given the circumstances. The writing is occasionally hampered by clumsy literary/philosophical flourishes and some of the phrases and terms are dated and/or technical which sometimes left me wondering what the hell he was writing about even after re-reading the same sentences a few times. The edition I read was from 1958, so maybe the newer ones have some explanatory notes? I wanted to read this one before "The Pacific" mini-series, which is partly based on this book, comes out. This one is not in the same league as E.B. Sledge's books, but still pretty good.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Helmet for My Pillow.