Daniel Judge's Reviews > The Practical Drucker: Applying the Wisdom of the World's Greatest Management Thinker

The Practical Drucker by William A. Cohen

it was ok
bookshelves: 2014-books

I wanted to love this book and since I've enjoyed a lot of Peter Drucker's writings I thought this would be a great compilation. Unfortunately, it didn't satisfy my need for an overview of Mr. Ducker's wisdom. Maybe if I was in higher management, this book would be better for me and I would've found some of the topics more interesting. I struggled to read each chapter and to find nuggets I could use on a daily basis. If you're trying to read more Drucker, I'd start with The Essential Drucker.

My favorite quotes from the book:

1. "Don't tell me you had a wonderful meeting with me ... Tell me what you're going to do on Monday that's different."

2. "An engaged worker is one who is committed to contributing to the organization and is willing exert extraordinary effort in accomplishing task important to the achievement of organizational goals."

3. "Professor Whistler's former student did a poor job when unchallenged by the job that was too small, but rose to accomplish the most difficult sometimes event impossible, tasks imaginable when properly challenged."

4. "For success, follow these three Drucker principles: Expect some failure, but keep at it. Volunteer, make mistakes, and learn. Never stop learning."

5. "Peter Drucker found that if you continue doing what made you successful in the past, you will eventually fail."

6. "the major difference between a manager and a leader, according to Drucker, is that the manager focuses on doing things right, while the leader focuses on doing the right things."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Practical Drucker.

January 12, 2014 – Started Reading
January 12, 2014 – Shelved
January 19, 2014 –
page 58
20.14% "It's slow going but has a lot of good leadership nuggets"
January 22, 2014 –