Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews's Reviews > Eli's Promise

Eli's Promise by Lissa Matthews

bookshelves: guiltypleasures-slick

Slick‘s review posted on Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews

Review copy provided for an honest review

4 STARS

I’m happy to be back in The Bar Next Door and found myself smiling a lot while reading this book. The subject matter isn’t funny, but the overwhelming resistance to a new relationship and the fact that everyone else could see the sparks and kept railroading them together made it interesting and entertaining. While Eli’s Promise was entertaining and smoldering hot, there was also a seriousness to it, one that was needed and one that made for a very well balanced story.

It’s always hard to get past baggage when starting a new relationship and Asa has no idea the baggage that Eli the object of his affection and his boss is carrying. Eli hates that he wants Asa and he also hates that he promised his now deceased lover that he would find someone else to love. I give Asa so much credit for pursuing Eli and not letting back away from his obvious want and desire. I did feel for Eli, I know he was torn but the fact that he actually felt something toward Asa proved he was ready to move on and let go of the past.

This wasn’t an easy story; Eli while moving on with life was obviously still dealing with his partner’s death and the fact that everyone kept telling him it was time to get on with his life. Asa while young hasn’t had the best life yet it just made him stronger and I think even more determined to go after what he wants in his life.

I very much enjoyed Eli’s Promise and was happy to see the characters from the first book back to help Eli and Asa’s relationship move forward. Although a novella, the characters were well developed, the plot well rounded, and the sex scenes smokin’ hot. I’m really loving The Bar Next Door and looking forward to what comes next!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eli's Promise.

Started Reading