Becky's Reviews > The Lost Journals of Benjamin Tooth

Jan 12, 2014

liked it
bookshelves: childrens, bedtime, 18-th-century
Read from January 12 to February 10, 2014

This was a book my daughter chose when trying to resolve the buy one get half price offer in Waterstones! It seemed an intriguing read based on the cover...

So I have been reading from the journal every night at bedtime. It starts off ordinarily enough if based in the 18th century so some of the language etc is obviously old fashioned. Benjamin seems like an ordinary boy of his time with a fascination for nature and a desire to become a famous naturalist.

Things however never do go to plan in a story and he meets the mysterious Farley Cupstart on Windvale Moor and his life completely changes... Benjamin grows to manhood without fulfilling all his dreams but maybe the mysterious creatures he saw on the moor can make his fortune?

My daughter and I agree that he starts off a likeable person but we grew to dislike him as the book went on. Maybe it's our modern revulsion at old fashioned ways of studying nature - ie kill it then study it!

Not sure I want to read more of the series but wonder if my daughter will?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Journals of Benjamin Tooth.

01/12/2014 marked as: currently-reading
01/12/2014 marked as: read
01/12/2014 page 20
7.0% "Such a modest young man... not!"
02/10/2014 marked as: read