Katy's Reviews > The Professor

The Professor by Robert  Bailey

Jan 11, 2014

liked it
Recommended to Katy by: Sami Jo
Recommended for: fans of legal suspense/thrillers

Book Info: Genre: Legal suspense/thrillers
Reading Level: Adult
Recommended for: Fans of legal suspense/thrillers
Trigger Warnings: murder, rape, violence, blackmail

My Thoughts: Let me state right off that this is not a mystery. In a mystery, neither the reader nor the characters know “whodunit” and the book is a journey to discover who that is. This is a suspense/thriller book in the legal field, which means the reader, at least, knows who is involved and how, but we watch as the characters try to legally prove what they are learning.

This book is described as “the first McMurtrie and Drake Investigation,” so although I don't know when or how many, there will be more book in this series. I think the idea has merit, but there are things I'd like to see in future books, such as: how the lawyers and their staff go about gathering information; acknowledgment that lawyers never work on just a single case at any given time; the distressing tendency of lawyers to put everything off until the last minute and the effect that has on their staff. In essence, I'd like a bit more realism.

All that said, this was an entertaining read, and fans of legal thrillers/suspense should enjoy it. While it didn't blow me away, I did enjoy it well enough and will likely watch for future books in this series to see where the author plans to go with this. If this sounds like something you'd like, check it out.

Disclosure: I received a copy of this book from JKS Communications (this author's publicist) in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

Synopsis: Thomas Jackson McMurtrie is a living legend scorned. Forty years ago, he gave up a promising career as a trial lawyer to become a law professor at the University of Alabama at the request of his mentor. Alabama football Coach, Paul "Bear" Bryant. Now Tom is forced into retirement, betrayed by both a powerful colleague and his own failing health.

Meanwhile, the young family of one of his oldest friends is killed in a tragic road collision. Believing his career is over, Tom refers the case to a brilliant, yet beleaguered, former student, who begins to uncover the truth behind the tragedy, buried in a tangled web of arson, bribery and greed.

But as the eve of trial approaches, the young attorney's case begins to unravel. In over his head and at the end of his rope, he realizes there's only one man who can help...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Professor.

January 11, 2014 – Shelved
January 11, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
February 5, 2014 – Started Reading
February 5, 2014 –
page 39
February 6, 2014 –
page 149
35.82% "What is it with writers having fireflies all year 'round everywhere? There are not fireflies in FEBRUARY in Alabama! *sigh*"
February 6, 2014 –
March 4, 2014 –
page 364
March 7, 2014 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Chuck (new) - added it

Chuck This has some strong reviews. What do you think so far?

Katy I like it. I think there are going to be some major upsets and such toward the end.