♡Karlyn P♡'s Reviews > Dark Witch

Dark Witch by Nora Roberts

bookshelves: read-2014

4 stars. Great world-building, weak romance, but still worth the read.

I hesitate to describe this book as a 'romance' novel simply because the book spent little time actually exploring the romance between Iona and Boyle. Sure, there IS a romance in this novel. Sprinkled throughout the book are a few scenes where Iona and Boyle meet, chat, wink at each, flirt some more, sleep together, have a misunderstanding, make up, and then profess their undying love. Very formulaic stuff, and all woven around the more important parts of this book.

The meat of this book is far more focused on the story of the Dark witch and her magically-gifted descendants living in Ireland. Despite being weak on the romance, I really enjoyed it. I think the book is probably better for it, because the romance itself was pretty lackluster stuff.

I absolutely plan to stick with this series as I enjoyed the world building, loved the Ireland setting, and was intrigued by all of the secondary characters. However, If you read Nora Roberts strictly for the romance scenes, this one might disappoint. But if you enjoy a solid background story with some dark magic and prophesies, you might enjoy it as much as I did.

I listened to this one on audio, and felt the narration was excellent.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Witch.

January 11, 2014 – Shelved
January 15, 2014 – Started Reading
January 16, 2014 –
January 17, 2014 –
70.0% "The story of the witches is so interesting, but the romance apsect is super LIGHT. I have a feeling this isn't really a romance novel."
January 17, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)

Carol [Goodreads Addict] Someday...I'm going to read this. I love Nora Roberts.

TinaNicole ☠ Le Book Nikita ☠ I loved her Sign of Seven trilogy and The Circle trilogy (Circle trilogy #1-3). Did you read either of those? I think both were both pretty story driven but I didn't find them lacking in the romance department either. If you've read either, how would you compare them with this one?

Just curious b/c I bought this when it came out but haven't had a chance to get into it yet.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish OOoh, I've been watching this one at Audible. It sounds so good.

Great review!!

♡Karlyn P♡ @Tina - I haven't read those, sorry!

♡Karlyn P♡ @Carol - let me know if you do!

@Lisa - thanks!

@Dhes - the audio was good, not the best but still really good.

TinaNicole ☠ Le Book Nikita ☠ ♡KarLynP♡ wrote: "@Tina - I haven't read those, sorry!"

Oh, you really should then. They are very formulaic, as you mentioned with this one, but the story lines in both series are fantastic. The Circle trilogy is set in Ireland, as well.

I read both years ago but I don't recall thinking them too light on the romance. It was back when I was just getting into romance, though. I had my favorites but overall they were really good reads.

♡Karlyn P♡ Thanks! Other people have mentioned there her best PNR too. I have them wish listed at Audible.com, will eventually get to them as I continue with Nora Roberts never ending back list ;-)

message 8: by Patrycja (new)

Patrycja Awesome review!

♡Karlyn P♡ Patrycja wrote: "Awesome review!"

Thanks Patrycja!

message 10: by Christy (new)

Christy Wonderful review, hun! <3

♡Karlyn P♡ Christy wrote: "Wonderful review, hun! <3"

Thanks Christy!