Harry Rutherford's Reviews > Avelum

Avelum by Otar Chiladze

bookshelves: didnt-finish, around-the-world, asia, central-asia

I ‘rented’ the Kindle edition while I was doing a 30-day free trial of Amazon Prime, as a book from Georgia for the Read The World challenge; but the trial expired when I was half way through, and I couldn’t be bring myself to pay the £1.96 to buy a copy.

Which sounds pretty damning, but it wasn’t actually as bad as that suggests; the narrative itself, of a love affair between a Georgian poet and a French woman during the last years of the Iron Curtain, was pretty effective, and the evocation of life in the USSR was excellent. But in between there was an awful lot of discursive, philosophicky sort of stuff which I found very hard work. Not so much because of the ideas themselves, but because I kept losing track of what he was trying to say. I regularly found myself having to go back a page to find the start of a sentence and try to regain the thread.

It might be my fault for having developed bad reading habits — maybe I should be reading slower — or perhaps something got lost in translation, but I think I’ll find something else for Georgia.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Avelum.

January 11, 2014 – Shelved
January 11, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
January 11, 2014 – Shelved as: didnt-finish
January 11, 2014 – Shelved as: around-the-world
January 11, 2014 – Shelved as: asia
January 11, 2014 – Shelved as: central-asia

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Mariam I kina agree. Although I am Georgian and I read it in original, I find that it's hard to keep traxk of the author's meaning.