Nafiza's Reviews > Persuasion

Persuasion by Jane Austen

Dec 24, 2009

bookshelves: read-2011

Out of all the Austen novels I have read (and I’ve read them all excepting Mansfield Park which was too painful), I believe I like this one best. It is fairly straightforward and there’s an elegance in Austen’s prose that makes the story flow much better than say in Mansfield Park. I feel a bit ridiculous talking about Austen’s writing since she’s easily one of the most revered writers out there but I, as you may know, prefer Charlotte Bronte over Austen. Anyway, Persuasion is a pastoral story about second chances and (tepid) true love. It’s rather didactic – actually, it is really didactic and Anne’s goodness is rather grating. But that’s just me being a modern reader.

The thing about all of Austen’s novels is the incessant dialogues/discussions which, I suppose, aim to further her “scathing commentary on society and its philistine ways” but honestly? It just makes me wish she’d get on with the story.

Don’t watch the movie. The latest one. It ruins the novel. Takes away certain parts that are quite important to the narrative as a whole and turns the story into a (bad) retelling. My personal opinion? Persuasion is the most palatable of all Austen’s novels so if Mr. Darcy turns you off, read Persuasion.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Persuasion.

December 24, 2009 – Shelved
June 9, 2011 – Started Reading
June 9, 2011 –
page 101
June 9, 2011 –
page 101
40.56% "So, I know this is a classic and all but I wish we could get to the meat of the story instead of promenading on the side road for an hour."
June 9, 2011 – Shelved as: read-2011
June 9, 2011 – Finished Reading

Gieliza This is my favorite Austen so far! =)

Nafiza Mine too!