Julie's Reviews > Nowhere, AZ

Nowhere, AZ by Chris Nunley

bookshelves: e-book

Nowhere, AZ is a 2012 self published novel written by Chris Nunley. I was provided a copy of this book by the author in exchange for an honest review.
A man traveling constantly, unable to settle, narrates this story explaining his rather bleak life to us. If our story teller were to become stressed, threatened, or bullied in any way, it could be a bad deal for the person causing him distress. So, keeping this guy on an even keel would be a good idea, and that's what our narrator attempts to do. It 's kind of like that line in the old Incredible Hulk TV show- "You wouldn't like me when I'm angry". It's not like our guy goes out looking for trouble. Trouble does come calling from time to time because life is full of those incidences when we are faced with a situation out of our control and we have to defend ourselves or in some cases the honor of others.
If that weren't enough to deal with we find out this poor guy has not been told all there was to tell about his family and who he is which brings him to a terrible place in his life.
The name of our protagonist is never revealed throughout the entire story. The first person narrative decribes the guy's life in the present and in flashbacks which bring us finally to a crossroads. Where could this person find any peace? Will he settle in the aptly named Nowhere?
A very dark, paranormal tale the gives the reader a lot to ponder. This book is in between a novella and a novel in length with about 148 pages. So, the story moves along at fair clip telling one odd encounter after another until a sort of climax occurs which changes everything . It is really hard to write reviews for this type of book because it's hard to explain things without giving away key information about the plot. It is also a story that just has to be read for one's self. I happen to enjoy a dark and twisty tale from time to time and this one will certainly keep you engaged. I rather liked it and thought the author did a great job of building his nameless protaganist into a character we care about even though he is quite dangerous. There is a cast of secondary characters that add to this story by being a bit "out there" and so they play their part very well in this sort of story. If you like paranormal, horror, anything that requires a little thought, or your looking for something a little out of the ordinary you should check this one out. I 'm going to give this one an A.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nowhere, AZ.

January 9, 2014 – Shelved