Nicholas Whyte's Reviews > Torchwood: The Sin Eaters

Torchwood by Brian Minchin

"http://nwhyte.livejournal.com/1259234.html[return][return]You won't find this in dead tree format: it is an audiobook read by Gareth David Lloyd, who plays Ianto Jones in the series, and written by the show's script editor/assistant producer.[return][return]To get the obvious out of the way first: it's a monster-of-the-week story, with a resolution that effectively hits the reset button so that the world is not much changed after the events described. But I think it is a very good story of its kind. The Sin Eaters derive from Christian theology, and infiltrate their victims via a special form of baptism, with inevitably nasty consequences. It would be very easy to write a very stupid religion-and-Torchwood story; but Minchin confidently takes Gwen and Rhys through matters ecclesiastical, in what for me is the slightly foreign church environment of South Wales.[return][return]The brutal reduction in the core cast at the end of Torchwood's second series means that we have only Jack, Ianto, Gwen and Rhys left as central characters. There is a neat contrast in the relationships - Gwen/Rhys, married over a year now; Jack/Ianto, still at the frenetic fumbling stage; and also Rhys's friend Matt whose stag night provides the catalyst for the story as a whole. Given the extra space (2 CDs of audiobook is worth several Torchwood episodes) we get a lot of decent exploration of love and religion in the world of Torchwood, though I felt that the author would gladly have given us more if space had allowed.[return][return]Also, Gareth David Lloyd is an excellent reader, switching easily from strong to weak Welsh accent depending on character, and also doing a good job on Jack's American. He is recognisably Ianto from the start, but (of course) more so when in character, and also carries a conviction that lifts the various character moments and vivid descriptive passages tremendously. I was disappointed by the first Torchwood audiobook I tried, and probably wouldn't have bothered with this one if I weren't related to the author, but I will try some more in future."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Torchwood.

Finished Reading