Jessica's Reviews > The 19th Wife

The 19th Wife by David Ebershoff

Jan 09, 2014

liked it
bookshelves: 2014

This book was interesting in that it really is two books in one. You will read the perspective of the life of Ann Eliza Young, Brigham Young's notorious 19th wife. Interspersed between chapter will be a modern day murder mystery that has taken place in the desert Southwest which has gained notoriety over the years for "quietly" housing extreme polygamous sects.

I found myself quite drawn to the whole story of Ann Eliza and her plight. The modern day story was fine but I always found myself glued to the pages as the historical (and fictitious) accounts unfolded. Only to be jolted from year gone by to the modern day story. While interesting and it had an unexpected twist at the end (which I liked) I would have been okay if it wasn't there. It's fine that it was but it's not what made the book for me. I liked all the "old" stuff better. However, I fully recognize that the modern day story is not so far off the beaten path when I consider the news reports over the past several years... or considering that one of the people he consulted with was Flora Jessop.

On a minor side... I just never like the use of the F-word... it's used here often. Just a warning for those who might like to know. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The 19th Wife.

January 9, 2014 – Shelved