Chris's Reviews > The Wind in the Willows

The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame

Apr 21, 2007

bookshelves: abandoned

This is one of those books I want to love; I REALLY, really want to love this book. I've read so many essays by book lovers who have fond, childhood memories of being read this by their father, or who ushered in spring each year by taking this book to a grassy field and reading this in the first warm breezes of May. I want to find the tea and boating and wooded English countryside to be slow yet sonoriously comforting, like a Bach cello suite or a warm cup of cider on a cool April night.

But I just find it tediously boring. I've tried it three times, and after about twelve pages I sigh, put it down, and pick up something else. Perhaps my father needed to have read it to me when I was young.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wind in the Willows.

Finished Reading
April 21, 2007 – Shelved as: abandoned
April 21, 2007 – Shelved

Peribo One of my favourite books - but you may be right, there may be an age past which this book would no longer have any appeal.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I didn't read it when I was little, but I still liked it. I think the key may be to read it right before bed.

message 3: by Erik (last edited Nov 30, 2009 11:29PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erik You're absolutely right...about needing it read to you as a child. That seemed to me what this book was intended for. It is a very good 'chilrens' story, but the writing style and vocabulary are more advanced.

Piotr Azub I love that book, although English is not my mother tongue and I read it (for the first time) in my twenties. The language is, indeed, very lavish, I had to check up at least a few words on every page, nonetheless I was engrossed in that book.

message 5: by Logan (new) - added it

Logan My advice is to skim the first bit until Mole and Ratty meet. And then, after that, skim past long descriptions. I didn't read this book until I was in my 20's and I loved it, but I tried reading it to my 6-year-old son and the descriptive detail is just too tedious for him. And this is a boy who loved E. Nesbit's books and other older children's books.

Dirk Grobbelaar I've read this book a few times now, I still enjoy it. However, different strokes for different folks. Example: I hated Alice in Wonderland.

message 7: by kiki (new) - rated it 1 star

kiki i'm with you....it's soooooooo boring! and i don't like the characters! glad to see i'm not the only one who doesn't like it! :)

Emma Crook I tried reading it when I was a round ten and hated it. Once in my twenties though, I love it. I find myself wishing for just a wonderfully simple life that they lead. Also, as a child, I disliked how there were no main female characters, now that is one of the reasons I love it - no romance, very little drama, just boys messing about in boats.. ah bliss!

Krisitn I'm 20 and I still read it over and over again. I would recommend reading it outside.

message 10: by Linda (new)

Linda Rowland I just added this but fear it will be like Watership Down. I truly wanted to like it but abandoned it early.

Tshana I am sorry that you find it unappealing. Each time I have feasted on it, I have enjoyed it thoroughly. I am 26 and I'm going to re-read it as soon as I complete The Hound of the Baskervilles.

Judith Rhodes Perhaps you should read it aloud to a child. I read this every 3 years or so...it still makes me laugh aloud. Good luck!

message 13: by Gina (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gina I picked it up for the first time this past summer, and I got bored, too, although I suffered through all but the last 20 pages or so. I WANT to like it, but daaang, I just can't.

message 14: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Givens Well, maybe you're too young for it.

message 15: by Jenn (new) - rated it 1 star

Jenn I'm with you. I'm reading it to my daughter as bedtime reading (she's 10) and she's not impressed with it either. I'm bored out of my skull.

Melissa Is it possible to just enjoy the beautiful language, the gorgeous descriptions and the pure dedication these characters have for one another and their mutual friendships? That - and the artistic depictions of the animals are enough for me to love the book.

Jennifer Ayre This is how I felt too!

message 18: by Max (new) - rated it 1 star