Victoria Dougherty's Reviews > The Bridge of Deaths

The Bridge of Deaths by M.C.V. Egan

bookshelves: bold-indies, historical-fiction

This is one of the most original thrillers I’ve come across. Blending fiction and non-fiction, the author has set out to solve the mystery of her grandfather’s death in a 1939 plane crash on the eve of WWII. But this wasn’t just any plane crash. At least not for the author, who suspects foul play. And with the crash killing two oil men, a German lawyer, and a Member of Parliament, it’s not much of a stretch to believe that this was some sort of clandestine mission gone tragically awry. The plot itself unfolds as an intriguing tapestry that is part detective story and part love story, all wrapped in the strange comfort of a spiritual quest. This brings me to the paranormal element in this novel, an element that is at once skeptical and wholly earnest. It involves psychics, past-life regression and is embraced unreservedly by the heroine, Maggie, while her lover – at least for a time – remains unconvinced. I love, love, love that the author inserted herself as a character – connecting with the fictional story’s lovers via Skype from her home in Florida. It was such a surprising twist in an already suspenseful and unpredictable narrative. And as a huge history buff – one that is especially fond of the era the author is writing about – I was utterly absorbed in the non-fiction component of this novel. The fictional story, rather than being a distraction to the painstaking detective work, was what tied everything together, made it whole. Like a great sauce that accompanies a terrific piece of beef.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bridge of Deaths.

Started Reading