Deborah Malone's Reviews > The Hand-Me-Down Family

The Hand-Me-Down Family by Winnie Griggs

Now having said all of this I want to give a review of The Hand-Me-Down Family by Winnie Griggs. This is a historical romance that takes place in California, 1888. Winnie takes the main character, Calley Gray, and puts her on a stage coach to meet her new husband by proxy. Before she arrives he loses his life in a fire and leaves his young daughter without a father. (she had already lost her mother, Calley's good friend).

Now, mind you, Calley knows no one in California and is shocked to say the least when she finds out he is dead. She meets his brother Jack Tyler who wants to take care of his brothers daughter as well as his sisters two children who also lost their parents in the fire. Most of the book is about Calley and Jack vying for the children. Neither think the other is capable of doing it alone. So they get married - for convenience.

Calley has a birthmark on her face that makes her feel no one would ever love her, so she has settled on just being a mother. But then she begins to have feelings for Jack - but Jack is going to leave to go back to his old job as soon as they are settled.

The rest you will have to find out for yourself. This is a book I would not have chosen in the past, just because it wasn't a mystery. I am so grateful that I am now open to reading other books. I would not have wanted to miss this one! I don't think you will either. Here is a link to Winnie's web site: http://www.winniegriggs.com/. Go over and take a look - you might just find yourself back in time!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hand-Me-Down Family.

Started Reading