Sandy Nawrot's Reviews > Songs of Willow Frost

Songs of Willow Frost by Jamie Ford

Jan 09, 2014

liked it
bookshelves: audio

I think the whole world fell in love with "Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet", Ford's last book. Granted, it was a little overly precious and predictable, but it was a fantastic story about Japanese Americans in WWII. There was no question in my mind that I'd read this book as well, a story about Chinese American women in the 20's and 30's, their role in society as single mothers, and the fate of their children. Ford does a great job of wringing out all the heartbreak and tragedy of these situations, while keeping it sweet. However, while the story is entertaining, it didn't inspire me to listen nonstop. Again, it was sweet but fairly predictable, and the characters were very stereotyped. The narration of Ryan Gesell may have contributed to my apathy. His portrayal of the Chinese accent did not ring true to me (the American accents were fine). It is hard to describe WHY, except that it sounded too artificial and full of affectation.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Songs of Willow Frost.

January 9, 2014 – Started Reading