Sharon's Reviews > The Real Mrs. Brown: The Authorised Biography of Brendan O'Carroll

The Real Mrs. Brown by Brian Beacom

bookshelves: biography-or-autobiography, non-fiction

"Brendan O'Carroll has the ability to make you feel like you're the most important person in the world."

"In February 1955, Maureen O'Carroll had real reason to take to her bed. The 41-year-old mother of nine felt sick. She had serious stomach problems. And she worried there was something badly wrong. Or perhaps she was going through the change? Her doctor examined her. That night she went home and wrote in her diary: 'Went to see Dr. Carney today. I'm either pregnant or I have a growth. (Please, God it's a growth.)'
Seven months later, on 15 September, the growth arrived weighing nine pounds three ounces. She called it Brendan."

Brendan O'Carroll is a remarkable man. The youngest (and perhaps cheekiest) of 10 children, his belief in himself has put him where he is today. From drawing on his memories of own mother Maureen - a strong-minded, independent, hard-working woman who would do anything for her children - he has created a character that has brought laughter to millions of people. A Positive Mental Attitude course he took a few decades ago has reaffirmed what he has always believed - that if you really want to, you can fly.

I really, really enjoyed this book. Brendan is an extremely intelligent and quick-witted man, and has had some incredible ideas throughout the years. But where would he leave it - his politician mother Maureen was instrumental in politics in 50's Dublin - campaigning tirelessly for women's rights, for example getting the word 'illegitimate' remvoved from birth certificates. She became not only the first female Chief Whip in any political parliament, but also Labour's Shadow Minister for Foreign Affairs.

Even when Brendan was down on his luck, or made poor investments, he still remained positive. "The world turns every twenty-four hours, so relax and let it happen. And if there's a problem you have to find a solution. But if you try, the solution will find you."

He is much, much more than just "a crude little boll*x" as some critics have christened him. Even if Mrs. Brown and her boys are not your cup of tea, this is a fantastic story of a man who will try and do his best at whatever he does - be it comedy or waiting on tables. He believes in the people around him, and they in him.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Real Mrs. Brown.

January 9, 2014 – Started Reading
January 9, 2014 – Shelved
January 9, 2014 –
January 9, 2014 –
January 10, 2014 – Finished Reading
July 11, 2015 – Shelved as: biography-or-autobiography
December 29, 2017 – Shelved as: non-fiction

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Cuti-CLUE-les I didn't even know about this until recently. I love Brendan and remember his earlier stand up routines. Definitely going to get a copy of this. Great review!

Sharon Róisín wrote: "I didn't even know about this until recently. I love Brendan and remember his earlier stand up routines. Definitely going to get a copy of this. Great review!"

Thanks R :) I didn't know it existed until a week ago, I was looking for a Mrs. Brown book and I almost bought another one but they said it was crap basically and to get this! Really glad I did, he's a great man.