Nick's Reviews > A Manual for Creating Atheists

A Manual for Creating Atheists by Peter Boghossian

it was ok

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Manual for Creating Atheists.

January 8, 2014 – Shelved
January 8, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
January 16, 2014 – Started Reading
January 19, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Jeffrey I think you're underestimating the staying power of the church. People have been predicting the demise of religion since the enlightenment.

Nick I am in no way predicting the demise of religion. I'm predicting the demise of the church in America. America needs the Gospel. The Gospel doesn't need America. If we fall, it will not stop the spread of the Gospel.

Jeffrey I still think you're being overly pessimistic. I have a great confidence that just about every major denomination in play today will still be around longer then a generation or two.

Follow up question: Do you think Boghossian's proselytizing might backfire? What I mean is, many Christians (and also other religious and non-religious) people today hold to the more naive concept of faith (I think you called it belief and not faith at all). That is to say many people say they have faith without having sufficient evidence (or without examining the evidence at all). Do you think Boghossian's techniques will cause people to question their unfounded beliefs causing them to go out and find solid foundation, thus turning beliefs into faith? Could this book ultimately be a good thing for Christians?

To paraphrase Socrates... An unexamined faith is one not worth having.

Nick I think B's work could help separate the wheat from the chaff entirely. We've been needing a shot in the arm. This could be it. Unfortunately, the church has 1,001 wake-up calls and rejected them all.

I'd rather have 1,000 who are strongly committed however than 1,000,000 who are more fence-sitters.